Family says I'm obsessed with new cat

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In mid October 2022 our last cat Tiger passed. It was the first time in over 25 years my wife and I haven't had a cat. At that time I wasn't sure if I wanted another pet or not. Then just before Thanksgiving, unbeknownst to me, my wife comes home carrying a cat carrier and inside was Lunar. 2yo calico female spayed, vaccinated and microchipped from the local humane society. My heart melted 💓.
20221121_092138~2.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-463535.gif
catdad61 and Lunar, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
Welcome Sly.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

We are so sorry to hear about Tiger :alright: You may want to pay a tribute to Tiger and you may do so here in crossing-the-bridge.19

Lunar is Tiger sent and she is beautiful! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here just for her in post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that reply. I realize I especially like calico cats.
But also......
Since the wife's and my retirement last year I have more time to spend at home with Lunar. Combined with the fact that our previous cats were overweight due to, at least in part, being free range kibble fed necessitated by our work schedules. So I went on the internet with 2 questions. I wanted to know how much she should weigh and how much to feed her to keep her at that weight. What a rabbit hole that was..... but I came out the other end a lot more cat-ucated :lol: than when I started.

Just because she has 2 window perches, more comfortable than wooden windowsills and one has cat TV outside when I pay the subscription fee (filling the bird feeder), a 6' cat tree condo, a heated bed, so she doesn't hog the floor registers, a filtered water fountain, since cats like moving water, wheatgrass and catnip plants, and toys, toys, and more toys.

As far as my original internet inquiry Lunar now has an automatic feeder which feeds her 5 times a day of which I substitute the middle meal with a can of wet food to keep her daily calorie intake in the 240's -260's range (depending on information source). I also pay more attention to the litter box so I will notice any changes that might indicate a problem.
And my family claims I'm obsessed (they're kidding, mostly) and that Lunar is spoiled (as if that's possible).

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

First off, condolences on the loss of Tiger. 🤗
RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

Secondly, congrats on the adoption of beautiful Lunar. I'm glad your wife brought her home to help heal both your hearts. :petcat::hearthrob:

As for your family saying you're obsessed with Lunar, I think everyone on this site would vehemently disagree. And I'm paws-itive Lunar would agree with us. :catlove:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, it's so nice to meet you!

I am so sorry about Tiger.

My friends and family would probably say I am obsessed with my cats, too. They know where they stand on the totem pole, lol.

Lunar is gorgeous. You may want to check out our fun photo competitions, which show up on the general site about once a month. You are blessed to have such a wonderful wife who brought you exactly what you needed. :catrub:

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat, I also like calico cats. I am the same way, my cats are pretty much free fed because I go out of the house sometimes 10-12 hours at a time recently.. But like me when something happens to my cat and I know the cause I try my best to correct that.. I should also look into getting an automatic feeder so can control how much they eat.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunar is beautiful. And definitely isn't spoiled, not at all. But I can say that as someone who is getting canvases of the boy's to hang on the wall. Told the 4 kid's youngest 21 sorry but the boy's are cute. :flail:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat, I also like calico cats. I am the same way, my cats are pretty much free fed because I go out of the house sometimes 10-12 hours at a time recently.. But like me when something happens to my cat and I know the cause I try my best to correct that.. I should also look into getting an automatic feeder so can control how much they eat.
The automatic feeder I bought was Cat Feeder.
Before my wife and I retired early last year we had also free fed our cats due to work schedules. I worked 24 hour shifts and my wife was scheduled for 8 hours but would frequently get mandated into 16 hour shifts.