Family Member Interfering in Introduction Process

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want an opinion in case I'm being too overly controlling or uptight about this.

I live in a large multicat household, all indoor only cats. I took in a relative's cat (Dee) in January and the introduction process had stalled. Recently, I decided it was time to let Dee explore the kitchen area with my cats in there, while I am around to observe. I made things interesting and fun by throwing dry food on the floor for them to "hunt" as many of them enjoy that. Things are ok, Dee gets a little hissy, my cats are laid back, no big deal. It's going to be a slow process though because I suspect Dee feels outnumbered.

Just moments ago, I caught a family member on the security camera allowing Dee to explore the kitchen while they were cooking. I would prefer that this family member would not do this. I have many reasons which include that they can't tell any of the cats apart (except for Dee) and I want to know which cats she has issues with. I don't want her having a run in with certain cats for awhile. I also don't want Dee going into the dining and living rooms.

Also, this was done very late at night and that's when my two scaredy cats come out from hiding. I'm afraid Dee's presence will frighten them and create issues. I actually observed this on the camera footage. Daisy wanted to use the litter box but was afraid because Dee was around.

This introduction process is supposed to be controlled. I'm afraid family member will cause problems since they know nothing about any of the cats. They think you can just bring in a new cat and it will automatically get along with the resident cats. :doh:

Should I be upset about this? I just feel like things could go wrong and I might have to start over again. With this many cats, I feel like things need to be more controlled. If it it doesn't go right, that could be bad.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your in a difficult situation. If I was you I'd talk to your family member and explain your concerns. They might of got the wrong idea and think the cat was allowed in the kitchen because they saw you bring the cat's together. But like you said they don't know the cat's like you do. I would show them that your other cat was afraid to use the litter and explain how quickly cat fighting can start. Hopefully they will take it on board and you won't have this problem anymore. Good luck with the introductions.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You want your relative involved in the introduction process which requires good communications so you both can come up with a plan together. Look up articles on this site and good videos on YouTube to help your relative learn. Get your relative involved with collecting information about all of the cats, how they react, what works, what doesn’t and so forth. Cat introductions are not just about the cats. It’s also about the humans. Let your relative share in the work and responsibility.

Mentor more and control less.