Fairly new here and had a question about breeding my cat

Astrea kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a white turkish angora with different colored eyes , and she is at the moment in het and needs to mate i have contacted a few cat owners for breeding and i had gotten a response that was quite weird to me and wanted to check on how true was it , the cat in quistion is another fully white cat with the same eyes but from a different breed ( maine coon ) and the owner of it said that white cats cannot reproduce with white cats because the kittens would die , is that true ? ( ill attach a few pics of my cat for fun )

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astrea kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. If they come out white with blue eyes they may be deaf though.

It's not necessary for a cat to mate. It's much healthier for her (and the cat population) to have her spayed before having a litter :).
I do plan on nurturing her but i really want some of her offspring , and the other kittens already have owners as in a few of my friends had already asked me to take from the kittens before the mating even began

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
As mentioned, there is a high risk that the kittens to be born would be deaf, so it is not a good match. Maybe that is why the owner of the maine coon cat wanted to discourage you because of this reason. Once born deaf, those cats, being able not to hear, could be hit by a car or not hear any incoming danger.

As adviced, it is encouraged that we fix our cats before having litters. :)

Beautiful cat you got there :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t breed white to white (or white to a cat with white markings), crossbreed, nor would I breed to an open MCO stud (nor any open stud in general) willing to breed to a cat of a completely different breed (and completely clueless about why you don’t breed white to white). I’d be concerned about them cutting corners with HCM, HD, SMA, and the other conditions the breed is prone to.

She doesn’t look TUA to me, so she’s either poor type, and as such, a poor candidate for breeding, or a domestic, which there are plenty of in shelters and in the streets. You’ve also mentioned that she’s deaf, which disqualifies her from breeding, in itself. She’s much more likely to have deaf kittens, even with a non-white stud, as she’s deaf herself. Deaf cats can adapt well, but it’s unethical at best to purposefully breed them. Being deaf wouldn’t lend itself to being a good mother and keeping track of kittens, either, as she wouldn’t be able to hear them. Would be even harder if the kittens were deaf, themselves.

Last edited:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with everyone else who has posted so far. She is deaf, which would make taking care of kittens extremely difficult. She is absolutely beautiful! I can see why you would consider it, but even if you keep your cat inside, which I assume you do, bringing more cats into this world--especially those who you know have a high chance of being born deaf--is just not a good idea and not fair to her. I am not trying to be mean or rude. It is simply just true. I care for ferals and stray. I have fostered dozens, and have 13 cats in my home. I just get so sad when I see them dead or pregnant before we can get them spayed. There are plenty of cats and kittens out there who need homes that your friends can choose from if they really want a cat. Hex, my group currently has 32 kittens and seven non-feral mothers waiting for homes. (That was yesterday's count, and it is just the one group in my area.)