Failed Fostering.....I think we need to keep "little Helen"

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been a rought trip for the little one. She was taken from a hoarding situation where there were 20 or so cats, and didn't handle the shelter well. she hid in back of her cage, and bit (not badly, more defensively) staff who tried to socialize her. One male member was having luck, but when we dropped in back in November to see if they needed volunteers, we were asked to foster her. They said that she needed to be socialized before she was adoptable. So we talked it over with the family, and my son agreed to lend his room to her as a 'safe room. She took over his closet, and we set it up the same as her cage had been. There were some trouble between her and my eldest daughter, but they had a hissing contest and came to an 'understanding'..now they get along great. Also, she bit my nailclippers while I was cutting her claws and broke a fang. But it's not bad and the vet cleared her health-wise.

It wasn't long...maybe 4-5 days before Matt, our resident cat barged into the room and decided to meet her. He hissed, growled and was brought out of the room. This happened about once a day for a week(Matt can open doors) before he decided to make nice, and then he was confused when it took her another week to make friends with him lol! She made friends with Midnight before the end of the second week, though, as he's young, and let her boss him around. Here they are playing on the tower in the safe room while I watched. I always made a point to give treats in the back of the house, so as to include Helen, and I always took the boys away with me after we were done...so she learned quickly that the room was her refuge, but was in their house.

Once Helen started showing signs that she didn't like the closed door, I would leave it open for her to look around. bit by bit she began to creep out and explore. Soon she got brave enough to come out and about, but ran for her room at the slightest noise. Now she's friendly, talkative, and plays with the boys like she owns the place. Sometimes having three cats makes one feel left out-Helen likes to give her attention to only one at a time, but Matt likes having peace and quiet now that Midnight's pouncing Helen and not him ;) and she loves to snuggle up to him and enjoy mutual bathing or a good long nap in his arms.

So as we come to the end of our three month fostering period, I am coming to the conclusion that Little Helen is a "failed foster"..........and I need to come up with the adoption fee rather than send her back to the shelter

I don't think that the boys will be very happy if I send her back, and we like having her around. Even if she is a loudmouthed, gluttonous pushylady at mealtimes
  She's also a thief and hoards things in places that I have yet to find...including my daughter's USB tht she needed for school....so we will have to buy lockboxes 

Last edited:

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I honestly love "foster fail" stories because it means they get to stay where they are, as they obviously become part of the family!! Congrats on your foster fail haha!

I love that last photo as well, it's adorable :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your 'failed' fostering! They have a way of worming their way into our hearts as you know. I wish you many years of love and smiles!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to foster but I think all of mine would end up the same as this story. She is so lucky to have you and her new brothers to give her a home. 

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I would love to foster but I think all of mine would end up the same as this story. She is so lucky to have you and her new brothers to give her a home. 
No way my wife and I would give up a cat that we had around for a few weeks! We would be overrun with wayward cats in a very short time

Every time my wife sees a cat living outside she is ready to have it move in!

Eric

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No way my wife and I would give up a cat that we had around for a few weeks! We would be overrun with wayward cats in a very short time

Every time my wife sees a cat living outside she is ready to have it move in!

Eric
I'm the exact same way....thankfully my bf keeps me in line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, we learned our lesson with Helen lol. I thought i could help her, and then send her to her real home...boy was I wrong! I did have the sense to tell AnimalAide that there would be absolutely no more fostering(even as they tried to push a pair of kittens on us lol)

I honestly think hubby had planned on keeping her from the start and fostering was his way of getting her in the front door....but who can prove it? She's his cat through and through, and has trained him to play fetch every day after work :)

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love Helen's story, thankyou for sharing it and bringing a little teary to my eye.