Fabreeze And Cats

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They aren't putting actual Febreze in the litter. They are making litter the normal way with the familiar Febreze scents instead of their old scents.

The offical stance on Febreze, from the company and the ASPCA poison line, is that normal use of Febreze is safe for cats and dogs, but they don't recommend using it around more exotic pets such as birds or small mammals. Of course anyone can be allergic to it, including cats and dogs, so take it on an individual basis. But there's nothing in it that should be toxic to cats.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Febreeze has a very strong scent to it. I have asthma, and I avoid it. It does seem to bother me.

I worry how it would effect our little ones?

I also worry about the Swiffer products.. love the scent, but with their bodies so low to the ground, I am concerned about how the scent would effect them-- smelling it constantly...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have really sensitive noses. Scented litter and scented powders that are supposed to control odors may cause some cats to stop using the litter box. Unscented litter is best to use.

Quote from Catinfo.org:
Added perfume is simply a way for lazy people to not clean the litter box frequently and I refuse to use any litter with perfume.

Always use unscented litters and do not add any deodorizers to the litter or around the litter box. Cats, because of their extremely keen sense of smell, are often put off by scented litters and perfumed environments. In addition, they do not need to be grooming perfume chemicals from their coat. There is absolutely NO need for special perfumes or additives if a cat box is maintained correctly. The best way to keep the box odor free is to clean it! Odors should be removed, not attempts made to cover them up.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything like that is toxic.. Bleach ,fabric softeners and that stuff that smell good to us is highly to ic to cats..

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step and my cats don't seem to be the worse for it. The scent fades after a few hours. artiemom artiemom , the same thing goes for Swiffer. I use it to mop the kitchen, and after an hour or so, the fragrance goes away, darn it. It doesn't affect the cats.