F1 Bengal from ALC and Stb Bengal???

Lazedo Cattery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone know that a ALC mating a domestic cat that F1 bengal are produced but my friend want to take a male ALC outcross a female bengal (stb). He said the F1 are produced that better and more stunning than Stb Bengal. I disagree doing that but i can not explain to him why he should not do that. Anyone can help me? Thank in advance

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your friend an established Bengal breeder with prior experience with early generation (EG) cats?

My understanding is that Bengal breeders producing new F1 cats typically breed the ALC to a Bengal, rather than to a random-bred domestic cat. Is there a reason why you are opposed to your friend using a Bengal rather than a domestic cat? Or is your concern about your friend producing F1 cats in general?

Producing new F1s and working with EG cats is controversial. I've heard arguments for both sides. Some breeders feel it is important to keep bringing fresh ALC lines into the Bengal breed. Other breeders feel that going back to the ALC is taking a step backward, not necessary for the Bengal breed development, and can raise feline welfare issues (for the ALC himself, his mates, and his EG descendants). Is this your concern?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lazedo Cattery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you lutece, you said correct what i want to say. My opinion is we do not take the bengal to backward when their genes are stable which ensure their reproduction and the kittens later as well as their personality with many feature belong bengal Stb like color, sparkling and smooth fur. All that thing we can not find in ALC and F1 bengal (even F2).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I wonder why? Well, here is a screen shot of the text. Click to see it full size. It is from the Millwood cattery web site which is now archived.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 9.39.12 PM.png

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other breeders feel that going back to the ALC is taking a step backward, not necessary for the Bengal breed development, and can raise feline welfare issues (for the ALC himself, his mates, and his EG descendants).
I'm not breeding Bengals but I agree with this. There's an allure to wild genes that's not undeserved, but sometimes more wild and undesirable behaviours can last dozens of generations and be a lot of work to gradually chip away.

It's not a huge deal in cats because they're pretty much born perfect, though I hear male Bengals do sometimes have behaviour issues as they get older. This would mean that (IMO) if you have one Bengal that's the product of dozens of generations of selective, responsible breeding and therefore less likely to have that flaw, it's not really fair for him to be considered the only same level of purebred as an F2 who may even be more visually stunning but hasn't had the same benefit of all that time and effort put into him.

I wouldn't say people *shouldn't* make more F1s or that it's unethical. I just wouldn't do so, and I would hope the Bengal that has been carefully sculpted over generations would have more clout than the F2.

If you want a much better example of going backwards, I'd say making wolfdogs.