Ez Complete Question

duncansmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to use this as my IBD kitty is now completely rejecting canned food and he seems to like this! However, I've lost the scoop. How much EZ Complete should I add, by measure, not weight, for an oz of food?

Now, if I can get my other two cats to get with the program...

Another nutrition related question. My cat only eats chicken breast. He doesn't like chicken thighs and he doesn't seem to like chicken fat at all. Should I try to add some fat somehow? He used to nibble on microscopic bits of bacon, maybe he'd take some bacon fat.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You really need to weigh if you lost the scoop, or even if you didn't. There is no way to accurately measure the amount of supplement outside of the approximate 2.5 gram measurements provided by the specific scoop. I don't use EZ Complete but personally, I would weigh rather than rely on the scoop even if i did.

According to their website it's 6.7 grams of EZ Complete per 4 ounce of boneless meat. That's 1.67 grams per one ounce of meat.

I know that "weigh" is not what you want to hear/read but consider getting yourself a little scale that weighs to 1/10th gram. About $10 on Amazon.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to use this as my IBD kitty is now completely rejecting canned food and he seems to like this! However, I've lost the scoop. How much EZ Complete should I add, by measure, not weight, for an oz of food?
I would write to EZ to ask what's best to do: they're very responsive and I bet you're not the first person to lose the scoop! They might even send you a replacement. (I have a bunch of scoops and if this were any usual time, I'd gladly pack a couple up and send them to you but we're staying at home and I don't have much postage!)

As for the fat question, personally, I'd stay away from the bacon fat -- because of the salt that W Willowy mentioned, plus the other chemical things that go into bacon -- but plain pork can be a good source of fat. Our cats love pork so they get a fair bit of their fat from pork chops and roasts. It's a good balance to the nearly fat-free chicken breasts they also love!

Good luck!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dr. Lisa of Catinfo.org uses a little bacon fat to get picky cats to eat her homemade raw:

I baked 18 ounces of the fattiest nitrite-free bacon I could find and it yielded 16 TBS of fat. I used a broiling pan to catch the drippings. Cook it slowly until the bacon is dry and crispy. That way, you will collect the most fat from the bacon. The dried bacon makes nice bacon bits for non-vegetarians. Or you can feed them to your cats as treats. Nitrites in cured meats is a controversial subject so I opted to purchase nitrite-free bacon from Whole Foods Market.

1 teaspoon of bacon fat is 38 calories. I would not feed more than 1 tsp/day and you may be able to use less since a little bit will go a long way to adding a bit of flavor to the food for a picky cat.

You do no need to add any fat to homemade food unless you need it to make the food more appealing.