EZ Complete - has anyone tried it?

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, 

I'm looking to purchase some EZ complete so i can provide some chunky raw meals for my cat. She also eats pre-made raw and quality grain free (occasionally with grains like oatmeal) and meaty chicken bones for dental health - will it be ok to include some EZ complete meals in there?. Has anyone had experience wit EZ? Any feedback on your experiences?

Thanks in advance.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Rose, I've used EZ Complete, for both raw and home cooked for my two cats, they really loved the food I made with EZ.   For raw, I used boneless rabbit and turkey meat (from Hare Today) as well as cooked turkey meat (also from Hare Today and Whole Foods).

The only reason I'm not currently using EZ is b/c one cat tested high positive for an egg allergy and I need to feed both cats the same food, at least at this time, w/o eggs.

Re: your first question, you can include some EZ complete meals made with unsupplemented boneless meats only for either home made raw or home made cooked.

You can still continue feeding pre-made, commercial raw and / or canned foods, you'll just need to adjust the amount of calories or ounces of food per day you are feeding if you're doing a combo of different foods.

I assume you've checked out FFL's faqs already, if not:

http://www.foodfurlife.com/faq--contact.html

Good luck. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much! Actually I hadn't though of potentail egg allergies, I was more worried about a reaction to the green lipped mussel, but good to be aware of - might have to give her a very tiny amount to start with to make sure there's no allergies.
Also, can I still give meaty bones a couple times a week (without including EZ on top of it) - more so because they help tremendously with her dental health - I was just worried it could be too many changes during the week for her (or perhaps variety is good? Still trying to work out what's best for kitties!).
Do your cats lick up the EZ powder/gravy - I'm worried mine will just pick at the meat and leave the EZ gravy in her bowl! Can't obtain samples either as I'm out of the U.S / Canada.

Thank you again - you've been so helpful :clap:

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. I use it a lot. I use it for both boneless raw for 8 of my 10 cats and I use EZ with cooked meat to my outside cats. It's good stuff, and it's easy to use. There are a LOT of people that use it on the raw feeding for IBD group on FB. Egg allergy is really rare, I wouldn't be concerned about it, or the GLM, GLM is a really good omega. 

You can make the EZ as thick or thin as you want, so if you want it thicker so it covers the meat then you just add less water. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @missmimz  :)

I'm glad egg allergies and GLM reactions are rare - she's had a reaction to a type of kibble treat that was Venison with GLM (6 vomits over night after only a few pieces), so hoping it was the venison not the GLM.

Do you think it's ok to still add a couple of meaty bones (with EX complete) per week for kitties teeth?

Or does that ruin things?

Sorry for all the questions - works out to be around $60 with delivery and U.S. conversion, and with no samples available to my country I just want to make sure i'm spending wisely :)

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you can still give bone-in meals. Just treat meals made with EZcomplete as you would any other completely balanced food. To balance the bone-in meals, you'll need to feed at least a few meals of meat with a small bit of organ and a dash of egg yolk to balance those bone-in meals. :)

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much! Actually I hadn't though of potentail egg allergies, I was more worried about a reaction to the green lipped mussel, but good to be aware of - might have to give her a very tiny amount to start with to make sure there's no allergies.
Also, can I still give meaty bones a couple times a week (without including EZ on top of it) - more so because they help tremendously with her dental health - I was just worried it could be too many changes during the week for her (or perhaps variety is good? Still trying to work out what's best for kitties!).
Do your cats lick up the EZ powder/gravy - I'm worried mine will just pick at the meat and leave the EZ gravy in her bowl! Can't obtain samples either as I'm out of the U.S / Canada.

Thank you again - you've been so helpful :clap:
I wasn't suggesting Rose, that your cat might have an allergic reaction to the egg yolk in EZ. I only mentioned it to refer to the past tense of me having "used" EZ and not currently using it at this time. :)

siamnaco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For cooked meat does it have to be ground meat or can it be chunked? I've never heard of this company but am ordering a sample to try. 

beth0612

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question: I read somewhere in the comments on the Raw Feeding for IBD cats that EZ Complete is preferable to bones because bones have more phosphorus than eggshell. Dr. Pierson has a really clear preference for bones over eggshell, though. Is the phosphorus more of an issue with IBD, or is this just two conflicting opinions?

Right now I'm using bone-in grinds with Alnutrin, but it sounds like lots of people like EZ Complete.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Question: I read somewhere in the comments on the Raw Feeding for IBD cats that EZ Complete is preferable to bones because bones have more phosphorus than eggshell. Dr. Pierson has a really clear preference for bones over eggshell, though. Is the phosphorus more of an issue with IBD, or is this just two conflicting opinions?

Right now I'm using bone-in grinds with Alnutrin, but it sounds like lots of people like EZ Complete.
I think it's mostly opinion and preference. Although a lot of people do feed EZ exclusively, i feed a balance of both boneless meats with EZ and bone-in grinds. I think a lot of people prefer EZ because, well, it's easy. It's much easier to buy boneless meat at the store and chunk it up than grind bone and trying to figure out percentages. 

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The issue also, specifically as it relates to Raw Feeding for IBD Cats is that there are cats with IBD who have a hard time digesting food with bones, ground bones in raw or whole prey diets, etc. In some IBD cats it may cause constipation. My male cat, for eg, can't tolerate a 100% raw with ground bones, he can do about 50%, otherwise he gets constipated.
As far as phosphorus, unless your cat has CKD - kidney disease, or if you have a cat whose creatinine was on the high end of normal (like my other cat) you don't need to worry about lower phosphorus diets.

siamnaco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that Dr. Pierson's recipe is great for cats with IBD but not for CKD due to amount of phosphorous? But I also read on Dr. Beckers website that cats with gastrointestinal issues should not eat bones, so I'm a little confused. DH and I are thinking about scheduling a consultation with Dr. P because our veterinarian is absolutely AGAINST feeding our kittens a raw diet. They have been looking really bad since we started them back on canned food (Weruva, Tiki Cat, and Fussie Cat), based on vets recommendation to stop raw, so I want to transition them back to raw but want to make sure I am feeding them a balanced diet. I ordered a sample of ez complete just in case I can't put them back on raw. I just don't trust the pet food manufacturers.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For cooked meat does it have to be ground meat or can it be chunked? I've never heard of this company but am ordering a sample to try. 
I make cooked food with EZcomplete. You can put the meat in whatever shape or form your cats want: I cook whole pieces of boneless meat then shred it by hand because that's what our cats like best. I've also chopped, ground, and sliced the meat. I've also tried using pre-ground meat in the food. They didn't like it much, either in tiny pieces of gobs. They really have a preference for shreds!

beth0612

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has been a very interesting discussion--thanks @LisaMarie12  and @missmimz  and @siamnaco  for your input. I got onto a raw diet because my kittens had diarrhea for three months solid and the vet was at a loss and suggested it was "leaky gut" but offered no treatment solution. That led me to the IBD discussions and the discovery of raw food, which is how I took care of the problem (with probiotics). The kittens have now been on a solid raw diet since spring and we've had no more problems, so I would like to think they're "healed" of their early bout with possible IBD and will be normal adult cats. The only thing* I don't like about being on a raw diet is that I'm on my own--my vet is pro-Science Diet, so I know she's not going to be able to answer questions for me about nutrition. I liked the blind confidence of buying a bag of cat food in the days of old and assuming that the cats were getting the nutrients they needed. Now the ball's in my court and I after the lengthy diarrhea saga, I'm always a little paranoid that I'm missing something nutrition-wise. I can't just assume anymore. 

* I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years and, honestly, dealing with so much meat grosses me out because I haven't touched it in ages, but my little wild beasts are worth it!

siamnaco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I make cooked food with EZcomplete. You can put the meat in whatever shape or form your cats want: I cook whole pieces of boneless meat then shred it by hand because that's what our cats like best. I've also chopped, ground, and sliced the meat. I've also tried using pre-ground meat in the food. They didn't like it much, either in tiny pieces of gobs. They really have a preference for shreds!
I plan on cooking pieces of chunked chicken to see how they like it. I'm hoping to be able to go back to raw because I just received 24lbs of ground whole rabbit and cannot use the premixed supplements since the bones, organs, etc are in the meat. I'd like to eventually get them started on the Frankenprey model. I worry about their dental hygiene; they will not allow me to brush their teeth. I have the scratches to prove it! Lol. I just need to confirm whether or not my male kitten can have bones in his diet. If anybody knows of a holistic vet that supports feeding a raw diet in the Houston area please let me know. [emoji]128570[/emoji]

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been a very interesting discussion--thanks @LisaMarie12
 and @missmimz
 and @siamnaco
 for your input. I got onto a raw diet because my kittens had diarrhea for three months solid and the vet was at a loss and suggested it was "leaky gut" but offered no treatment solution. That led me to the IBD discussions and the discovery of raw food, which is how I took care of the problem (with probiotics). The kittens have now been on a solid raw diet since spring and we've had no more problems, so I would like to think they're "healed" of their early bout with possible IBD and will be normal adult cats. The only thing* I don't like about being on a raw diet is that I'm on my own--my vet is pro-Science Diet, so I know she's not going to be able to answer questions for me about nutrition. I liked the blind confidence of buying a bag of cat food in the days of old and assuming that the cats were getting the nutrients they needed. Now the ball's in my court and I after the lengthy diarrhea saga, I'm always a little paranoid that I'm missing something nutrition-wise. I can't just assume anymore. 

* I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years and, honestly, dealing with so much meat grosses me out because I haven't touched it in ages, but my little wild beasts are worth it!
Beth, not all vets advocate a species inappropriate diet for pets. Just this past year I found our new vet, quite by accident, who supports raw feeding (and does not recommend kibble or Hills). He even told me where I could find "quality raw duck meat" at a local farmer's market in my area that I was unaware of. Those kinds of vets are out there - and he is not considered a holistic vet either, it just may take a bit of searching on your part.

I'm glad the kittens are doing well and that they have "healed". There is no cure for IBD, however, many cats can be asymptomatic.

You may want to consider joining Facebook's Raw Feeding for IBD Cats group, lots of very helpful info and resources.

I was a strict vegetarian for about 25 years so I can very much appreciate your understanding of the kitties dietary needs as well as your willingness to feed them a species appropriate diet, they are very fortunate to have you. :)

Last edited:

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I plan on cooking pieces of chunked chicken to see how they like it. I'm hoping to be able to go back to raw because I just received 24lbs of ground whole rabbit and cannot use the premixed supplements since the bones, organs, etc are in the meat. I'd like to eventually get them started on the Frankenprey model. I worry about their dental hygiene; they will not allow me to brush their teeth. I have the scratches to prove it! Lol. I just need to confirm whether or not my male kitten can have bones in his diet. If anybody knows of a holistic vet that supports feeding a raw diet in the Houston area please let me know. [emoji]128570[/emoji]
Please let me know how it goes with the cooked chunked chick and EZ complete. I have one kitty who will not eat Rad Cat, so I bought EZ complete and was going to mix it with cooked meat. But for whatever reason, Buster will not touch the chicken with EZ complete:-( 

siamnaco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats tore through the sample before I could try it out. My fault, I left it on the counter ran to the store for chicken. They had ripped through the little packet before I got home. Lol. Based on their reaction to the sample packet I guess I'm just going to have to risk it and buy a regular size package. Lol