Eyes still shut

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Question: I keep reading that kittens eyes usually open between day 7-10. My kittens are 14 days old and only one has one eye open. No sign of infection at all. Hopefully I am just a nervous caretaker!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! This is not normal at all. There is definitely cause for concern here. Kittens eyes should be open by 2 weeks. No sign of infection does not mean there is not infection behind the eye. Eyes not treated may mean blindness in cats.

First, make an appointment with a vet ASAP. In the meantime, begin bathing their eyes with a warm, damp washcloth multiple times a day to loosen any crust or built up pus behind the eye to try to get the eyes open. Since their eyes did not open on time, you must assume that they have infections and are glued shut. You’ll need Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment applied multiple times a day to treat their eyes. A vet will help. Their eyes must open now or they may be damaged beyond repair.

Did you notice eye discharge early on? That is usually a symptom that indicates eyes need treating. If not, eyes still need treating ASAP by a vet.

They need eye antibiotics right away to prevent future blindness.

Thank you for asking. This is critical.

Please keep us posted!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear! This is not normal at all. There is definitely cause for concern here. Kittens eyes should be open by 2 weeks. No sign of infection does not mean there is not infection behind the eye. Eyes not treated may mean blindness in cats.

First, make an appointment with a vet ASAP. In the meantime, begin bathing their eyes with a warm, damp wet washcloth multiple times a day to loosen any crust or built up pus behind the eye to try to get the eyes open. Since their eyes did not open on time, you must assume that they have infections and are glued shut. You’ll need Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment applied multiple times a day to treat their eyes. A vet will help. Their eyes must open now or they may be damaged beyond repair.

Did you notice eye discharge early on? That is usually a symptom that indicates eyes need treating. If not, eyes still need treating ASAP by a vet.

They need eye antibiotics right away to prevent future blindness.

Thank you for asking. This is critical.

Please keep us posted!
OH NO!! I will call vet first thing in the morning. thank you for your help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im hopying its OK; some ARE late bloomers. That said, the advices above are sound and wise; its to play it safe to follow them.

God is protecting those whom are guarded, no? Or how to put this old proverb into idiomatic english.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they are possibly late bloomers, and eyes should never be forced open, but 14 days is late for an entire litter. Hoping they are fine though.

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. I started bathing their eyes last night. And again this morning, after this morning, 2 of them now are opening their eyes. So thats good news. Will continue with the other 2 today. My 2 vets that I use, cant see them until the 27th! So calling around this morning to see if someone else will take a look.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent news! Do the eyes look clear or do you see crust or pus? By the way, you can order a tube of terramycin from Chewy. Hope the others’ eyes open soon too!

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Excellent news! Do the eyes look clear or do you see crust or pus? By the way, you can order a tube of terramycin from Chewy. Hope the others’ eyes open soon too!
The eyes look clear. I didnt know you could order if from Chewy. thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the other kittens’ eyes today? Any starting to open?

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are the other kittens’ eyes today? Any starting to open?
yes! slowly but surely. Just one kitten, the one that was born a day later...still has both eyes shut. I have the antibiotic on the way too.
Thank for your help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! Don’t force the eyes; but keep doing what you're doing. I would smear Terramycin across all their eyes for good measure once it arrives.

• Purraise
Reactions: AEO

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! Don’t force the eyes; but keep doing what you're doing. I would smear Terramycin across all their eyes for good measure once it arrives.
The one I was most worried about, has one eye open now!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray! It seems they are on the right track now. So glad you were on top of this. Keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray! You did so good with them! If you see any pus or green or yellow, use the Terramycin liberally! So happy to hear. I hope all continues to go well now. Enjoy the kittens!

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten question. Kittens are 4 weeks old. I want to introduce them to wet food. I mixed it with formula and they have NO interest, other than walking thru it. lol . Any advice on how to get them started or interested would be appreciated . thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has an article: