Eye sore

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, unfortunately my little Blueberry has a very sore eye :( initially he had a little discharge (the usual colour, nothing off), but it didn’t seem to bother him and his eye was seemingly normal. I gave it a clean and the eye seemed to clear up fine, so we wanted to see if it would clear up on its own.
However it has then got worse and now seems too sore that I don’t want to try to clean it in fear of hurting him or making it worse. There has been no pus, and usually it doesn’t look sore as it had kind of scabbed over initially almost like it was a cut (him and his sister play a lot and sometimes with our other cat who is older) but he’s certainly tried to clean it and made it sore himself. The area is now red and the scab is gone. The eye itself seems as normal and he isn’t reacting to the light any differently etc. He doesn’t mind me touching it particularly.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Will I harm it further by cleaning? Is there anything I could apply to help it? We’ve never experienced an eye issue to this degree before so I’m very concerned for him 😔
I’d like to add that he does have a vet appointment on Thursday, that is the earliest they could get him in unfortunately. In the meantime I was hoping someone had some answers to calm my worries and possibly help with the soreness.
E9CA8085-CD86-452F-914C-DAEF0817A6AC.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oooh ouchie! Poor sweetie. Possibly some store bought unflavored chamomile tea. Moisten the end of a q-tip and gently apply, it'll help ease discomfort and is safe. It's also anti bacterial.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I wonder if an infection set in from the playtime scratch. Thursday is almost here, so you will see the vet. I would try to leave it alone, with the exception of the chamomile tea, especially since you will take him in tomorrow. Please let us know what it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also like to add he has quite large eyes, I’m not sure if this could be a cause
Oooh ouchie! Poor sweetie. Possibly some store bought unflavored chamomile tea. Moisten the end of a q-tip and gently apply, it'll help ease discomfort and is safe. It's also anti bacterial.
Thank you for the advice, I’d heard of using chamomile tea for other things but didn’t know it could help this. I’ll give it a try!

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if an infection set in from the playtime scratch. Thursday is almost here, so you will see the vet. I would try to leave it alone, with the exception of the chamomile tea, especially since you will take him in tomorrow. Please let us know what it is.
Yes I agree ☹ thank you, I will do an update when I have it!

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So he’s been put onto Clavaseptin for antibiotics and has also been given steroids (prednisolone). He has an appointment booked for a week today to do a check up but obviously have been advised that he should return sooner if anything changes.
She does think it was a scratch or something, but has said it’s just got a small infection from where he’s tried to itch the scab so he’s also got a cone on now. She had a look inside the eye and has said the eye itself is perfectly healthy and there’s no damage there so it’s just a case of sorting the external issue and it not getting further infected. I hope this can clear up soon for him☹ I don’t like putting him on all the medication though I will admit, especially as one I had to sign for to say it may have adverse reactions :sigh:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You had to sign for Clavaseptin or the pred? I have never had to sign for either, if that is any consolation, only for controlled substances. Good that you got this treated and that the eye is not injured. Please let us know how he does.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You had to sign for Clavaseptin or the pred? I have never had to sign for either, if that is any consolation, only for controlled substances. Good that you got this treated and that the eye is not injured. Please let us know how he does.
For the pred as it’s a human drug apparently and has not been fully safety tested for use on animals, so you basically sign to say you accept that and they’re not accountable for any side affects.
Thank you :)

I will do a little update below!

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I realise I forgot to add on the photo! It’s much better. I’m sure he can’t wait to get the cone off! I’m just being cautionary still until it’s completely gone
E0477508-8FA9-4F13-8138-7DBBE7F02051.jpeg