eye problem

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is almost 2 years old. Male and neutered. He is positive for feline herpes virus and he had flare ups all his life. A lot of vet visits and nothings changed. He gets a flare up( conjuctivitis, coughing and sneezing) and my vet gives him some pills and an injection and he gets better, every time. But.. there is something that doesnt go away at all. Its his eye discharge. Because nothing helped from the vet i tried washing his eye with saline water because he has outside acess so i tought maybe dirt is the problem but no, tried chloramphenicol because vet said i can use it on my cat, the other vet said i shouldnt use it and i stopped after one or two 'doses'. Then i stumbled up on some pills for immunity ( beta glucan is the ingredient) and i give him every other day one pill and it actually got better, no more flare ups but again... eye discharge still there, it just wont go away. The vet didnt give me eye drops at all.The discharge is mostly clear but it turns brown after some time. I should also add that he rarely opens his eyes fully, they are almost always half closed, it looks like he is sensitive to light but he opens the eyes when he is excited and playing and at that moment light doesnt bother him. There is no redness, his eyelids are perfectly light pink but this still happens.. I dont want to pay the vet bills if his discharge doesnt go away.. Is there something i can try OTC for humans or pets? Chloramphenicol? Somewhere read about gentamicin eye drops for humans? Boric acid eye drops? Anything? Help i am really desperate

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One should never use human medications of any type on a pet, unless a doctor specifically prescribes it. Many are not appropriate for pets and one never would know the correct dosage for size/weight even if it is. I personally do not like using any products which are not medically proven to work. I know some suggest using diluted plain chamomile tea as an eye wash but again, warm water is equally as good and more convenient.

Perhaps it's time to look for another vet for a 2nd opinion? Mainly because you say the cats eyes are half shut at times.

As for eye boogers, if it's just a small amount you can easily use a warm compress to wipe away the crust that develops each day. Use a cotton ball or small towel but make sure to use a clean one for each eye so as not to cross-contaminate. Our younger one has crusties and they dry so fast I'm able to just gently rub them off her eye with a clean finger, which our vet said was ok to do. But if really stuck I use the warm compress method.

Eye health is very important and I'd be searching for more answers too.