Eye Problem.. Help

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, as some of you may have read in previous posts I've made, my cat Hannahs eye problem is back.

First plan of action, her eye was squinting with discharge.. went to vet did dye test to see if scratched, nope it wasn't, so Erythromycin was prescribed, it cured it , a week later it came back, was told to do the ointment again .. it cured it again..

A week or two later, eye squinting and discharge came back took to vet, did dye test AGAIN and nothing, was now prescribed steroid eye drops for 4 days as last resort as if this didn't work the eye doctor would be needed. this worked greatly and her eye was back to full moon status once again.

Come home today, and what do I find, her eye squinting and irritated with some discharge again.. immediately text ( yes this vet is very awesome) and explain to her. She tells me to do the erythromycin ointment now and before I sleep ( not the steroids) and she wants me to come in tomorrow to do the dye test again before proceeding to the steroids or whatever is next for us.. she also said she would read more into anterior uveitis. I am a little concerned as last time she said the eye doctor would be the next call.

Back ground history, I have two other cats, who are completely unaffected and healthy. I will attach pictures with this..

PLEASE if anyone can help me with advice wether they had similar experience or if I should seek another vet or whatever the heck else to do as I am barely able to pay my own expenses with this reoccurring problem. Yes, before anyone judges I should be able to afford my cats health bills, but I also work full time and struggle enough with my own bills without emergency vet services..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to ask your vet about the possibility that this is an allergic reaction.

WHAT a pretty girl she is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we’ve already been on allergy pills too for quite a while... so overwhelmed about what this could be , kind of sad and confused as to why we are doing the dye test for the third time to just hear to do the steroid drops again and knowing it won’t work

She’s my world ( along with my other two)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you live anywhere near a decent University Vet School? It won't be cheap, but it will have feline ophthalmology instructors, the best that can be hired, and students working with the latest and best techniques, instruments, and medications.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Went today and her eye was fine, told me to just continue the eye ointment and to text her if something happens

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guess is that it is something physical or some sort of allergy. Like something physically irritating her eye or sight. Or possibly some sort of allergy where the eye is not fighting off bacteria like it should. I would keep tabs on her symptoms vs potential variables such as stress and allergens.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no idea , they’ve done the dye test three times and no damage to the cornea or anything. At this point it’s got to be internal or allergies.. keeping a close eye ( haha) on her , allergy pills and eye ointment ..

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well , the vet wants me to go to the eye doctor with my girl . They are closed today so I have to call Monday to make an appointment ☹ Hate this waiting game just want her better. Her eye doesn’t have any discharge just swelling and she doesn’t open it up as full as her other one and squints ..

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll feel much better once she has her appointment, but DANG this sounds like an allergy of some sort! There are some pollens that have my eyes doing the same thing. And it is possible for one eye to be more sensitive than the other to allergens.

I take Claritin (well, the generic). And it is an option for cats, as well. The dosage for cats under 15 pounds is 5mg per day, and the tablets are 10mg, so they could easily be halved. AND you can get the Equate version at Walmart for under 4 bucks, which would be 2 months supply for her, IF this is an allergy, and IF the doctor is good with you using Claritin.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’ve been on the reactive allergy pill ( safe for cats ) since November recommended by the vet

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Drat and darn. Something else then...environmental? Who knows. I'm stumped. Huh. I'll be waiting.