Eye pigmentation changes

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my beautiful Onyx. Her eye pigmentation has been changing over the past couple of months. She has always had freckles in her left eye, but now they are growing. We went to an ophthalmologist last week and are taking a 'monitoring' approach. It's hard to get a good look at the iris at the vets because they were so dilated. However it is VERY visible, the changes from her 2018 picture (pic #1) and the ones taken today (pic #2 and 3). I just sent these pics to the doc, and asked about the laser surgery, or if it's melanoma....waiting for him to return the call right now. I am so scared for her. I dont want her to lose an eye.
SAM_7723.JPG
SAM_8122.JPG
SAM_8124.JPG

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
What a little doll of a kitty 🐱❤
I don’t know anything about cats eyes but I think it’s really unique looking. My prayers and good thoughts your way. If it’s nothing, well then, enjoy her special looks 🙏🏻

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iris Melanosis is common in older cats, caused by exposure to UV rays in sunlight. If you could minimize her outdoor exposure that might help. Monitoring is usually indicated, it may just stay benign forever. I had one cat that developed this and his never did get malignant, though it did spread like your Onyx's is. If she is advanced in age I would just monitor. If she is younger you might want to learn from your vet how to tell if it is getting serious enough to treat. Keeping track of spread of the pigment is recommended to see how fast it is spreading and to where. If it is just teh iris she will be fine. Monitoring is the only way to know this. Taking the eye is usually not done until it involves the ligaments or other parts of the eye. Laser treatment helps, but it is normal for this to keep on spreading so it is temporary. Keeping her indoors is the best solution, if she already is indoors then it is something she inherited. I know it is hard not to be worried, but have a frank talk with your vet to settle your worries. I'll pray it just stays on the iris, sending healing vibes her way! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies (and questions). My beauty Onyx, who is currently sleeping on the pillow beside me is only 5 yrs old. She has already had another 'older' cat issue - hyperthyroidism (at age 3.5). I did the I-131 treatment and got her fully CURED, so that was awesome and worth the $$.
With the vet we've been monitoring this issue for about 6 months now. She suggested I take her to an animal eye dr...if for nothing else, to rule out other problems and get a baseline. The Ophthalmologist checked her eye pressure and possible glaucoma issues...everything is fine there. At this point it is just 'eye freckling', not causing any problems. I will be going back in 3-6 months for a follow-up. Laser ablation is an option if the pigmentation is causing eye strain, but it may return, so no guarantees there. If the cells turn cancerous it can quickly spread past her eye and become terminal. The resolution there is catch it early and the eye should be removed (praying it never comes to this). It is a form of Melanoma for cats, (which I have also had). Just like with any cancer, the earlier you catch it the higher the survival rates get.

Onyx is an indoor only cat....though she knows the time of day to find the 'sunny' windows and does not hesitate to spend a couple hours basking in it. If you notice your cat/dog having eye pigment changes, get it checked out.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has already had another 'older' cat issue - hyperthyroidism (at age 3.5). I did the I-131 treatment and got her fully CURED, so that was awesome and worth the $$.
So young and HT? Unbelievable!

At this point it is just 'eye freckling', not causing any problems. I will be going back in 3-6 months for a follow-up. Laser ablation is an option if the pigmentation is causing eye strain, but it may return, so no guarantees there. If the cells turn cancerous it can quickly spread past her eye and become terminal.
Hopefully it is just eye freckling

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat also has this - started at 2 yrs old and looks like your cats eye when it started (right after a rabbies vaccine and I think there may be a connection). It progressed very slowly over the years and we were taking her to a a cat opthamologist every 6 months for the first few years. It recently progressed over the last 2 years - I think stress seems to trigger it to progress quicker (she's moved all over with us and after flying it always gets worse). Also we were living in a condo with all floor to ceiling windows so that could have caused it to progress quicker too. She is now 13 and it covers most of her eye and she squints in direct sunlight, but other than that it doesn't seem to bother her. I was really concerned at first that they would have to remove her eye, but from 2-10 yrs old it progressed very slowly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My GSD sees a veterinary opthamologist and I agree with you that the best thing now is to keep up all follow up visits unless you see some change which is of concern. Hopefully this will never amount to anything serious.

makita1998

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my beautiful Onyx. Her eye pigmentation has been changing over the past couple of months. She has always had freckles in her left eye, but now they are growing. We went to an ophthalmologist last week and are taking a 'monitoring' approach. It's hard to get a good look at the iris at the vets because they were so dilated. However it is VERY visible, the changes from her 2018 picture (pic #1) and the ones taken today (pic #2 and 3). I just sent these pics to the doc, and asked about the laser surgery, or if it's melanoma....waiting for him to return the call right now. I am so scared for her. I dont want her to lose an eye.
View attachment 321278
View attachment 321281
View attachment 321282

makita1998

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old 3 month old with same/vet send me to opthalmoligist vet/ was suspected iris melanoma/ had eye removed 5 days ago/biopsy just came back confirmed iris melanoma, report also states- "The mass was completely excised." It was an awful decision to take her eye out not knowing for sure but today im so happy I did she still has the cone on her head which she absolutely hates. but honestly on day 3 after surgery she started to play and act herself, Its day 5 and she is adjusting well. She was on pain meds every 8 hours for 1st 3 days post surgery. I took off full 5 days to stay with her, and she is doing fine now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. makita1998 makita1998 , this thread is an older one (from Feb 2020) so you might not get too many acknowledgements on your good news. But I saw it and wanted you to know it is great to hear the positive outcome for Peppers and you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree! There are many on here who need to hear good news, I m so happy Peppers is doing better, hopefully all that is behind her now. I'll pray for that sweet girl, you will be blessed for caring for and loving her!