Eye Infection

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Mingo was due for his annual checkup this week. He had been having some discharge from his right eye that looked like pus, so I brought that to the vet's attention. She checked him under a fluorescent light and it turned out his eye was scratched. It probably came from wrestling with Lily.

The vet gave me some ointment to put in his eye, but didn't tell me how I was going to do that. Now Mingo doesn't like to be "caught" and will turn feral if I catch him. He had to be sedated for the vet exam. There wasn't time to ask as the office was busy. I've been putting him in a pillowcase with his head sticking out, but he wouldn't let me near that eye. Sure, go ahead and stab me in my sore eye with that sharp, shiny thing. The ointment ends up being smeared all over his face.

It's supposed to be applied three times a day for ten days. I'm at my wit's end.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try putting the ointment on the end of a damp cotton bud then pull down the bottom lid a little and wipe the bud onto it. The long thin cotton bud often doesnt frighten them as much as the thick tube.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I thought of that, but the stick will frighten him, too. Basically, I need three hands. I'm going to try lifting a lid and rub it in with a clean finger. I'm worried that he will start avoiding me, but so far he is still his affectionate self when I'm not messing with his eye.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats needs ointment in her eyes daily
When I started doing it she would run, hide and avoid me. Whilst she still doesnt like it, she lets me do it. Unfortunately as much as both you and your cat hate applying the ointment, it is important so try different methods. If you use your finger, run it under water first, the ointment comes off a littlle easier. Good luck.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. It's good to know someone else has been through this. I can't imagine doing it forever.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately I have to. Its been a year now and she is so good at having it done. Once Mingo realises that you are not trying to hurt her, she will hopefully start to accept it. If the ointment is cold, hold it in your hand for a minute to take the chill off. Sometimes it the shock of the cold that makes it worse.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope we're getting there. I just tried again by putting it on my thumb, stroking him on the forehead while pulling up his eyelid, and pressing in the ointment. He tolerated this well, and I gave him a treat.