Eye Goop

Carax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So I've had my cat (Katie) for just over 2 years now. I took her into the vet about 2 weeks ago for a regular checkup and the only thing they said was that she was a pound over weight. Got all her shots updated while she was there.

As of last week I started noticing she was developing larger clumps of eye goop after she woke up from sleeping. I'd clean it out normally and carry on with my day. I noticed part of the goop would be more solid and the bottom of it was more liquid and had a redish color. The tear duct was also a little more defined than her right eye. She acts normal and doesn't scratch at it or rub it on anything (more than usual at least!)

I took three photos to post here. The one shows her face, the other focuses on the right eye with "normal goop" and the final is the left eye showing the defined tear duct. Thoughts?

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say it could be feline eye herpes? It looks like it might be that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It wasnt noticeable until about a week ago

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a blocked tear duct, which your vet might need to flush out. Can you maybe send your vet a picture or give them a quick call to see if she needs a vet visit?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello C Carax , on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any in regards to getting around the site. I'm here to help :thumbsup:

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Do check out the informative forum threads and also the many good reads in the Articles section too.

And lastly, do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty for us to see :wink:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible the stress of visiting the vet has triggered a little upper respiratory infection. If the eye discharge is colored (yellow or green), it's time for a call to the vet. If it's just brown crusties or clear discharge, then it's likely allergies. Just wipe off the crusties with a damp warm cloth.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if you could send the vet a photo of your cat's eyes, he might be able to say if it is herpes or not. Ask your vet about Lysine treats or powder if it is.

Carax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's the photo from this morning to give you guys a better idea. I know she has been sneezing a bit.. My guess is either a blocked tear duct or some sort of upper respiratory issue. I've contacted the vet just waiting to hear back :/

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell. My cat's eyes run clear, then the clear stuff dries into brownish crust. Let us know what the vet says...

Carax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They want me to come in next week (shocker).