Eye Discharge

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am new to this site. I have a 16-18 year old cat.
Yesterday about 4am I happened to rub an eye booger from my cats left eye. When I turned the lights on, I see him rubbing the opposite (right) eye and a tear drops out. I’ve never seen this before so I am freaking out and wake up my mom. She tells me it’s nothing to worry about and that he probably got something in his eye. If it was not for my mom I would be taking my cats to the vet over very little things and sometimes I find that frustrating such as times like this. I damp a paper towel and gently wipe his right eye whenever I see his eye watering. Tonight I noticed that there is a cloudy substance. I did not touch it but wiped it away with a damp paper towel. I even took a picture to show it to my mom. She’s now saying it could be an infection and that it’ll go away on it’s own. It’s now the weekend and I won’t be able to see the vet until Monday.
It is just the right eye, he will squint occasionally. Today is the first day I noticed the cloudy discharge. It doesn’t look red or pink. He is eating fine and drinking water and acting normal. I will definately be keeping an eye on him but is there anything else I can do?
Thank you.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cloudiness would concern me. It could be anything from allergies to something else. I'd get the kitty to a vet for a check up and to make sure it's nothing too serious.If it seems to be getting worse, you can make some chamomille tea (plain), strain it and allow the tea to cool. Dip a cotton ball in the tea and wipe the eye. You don't want to drop the tea into the eye, just use it to soothe the eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I took him to the vet today and he has a small scratch on his eye. The vet gave me terramycin ointment to put in his eye.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good thing you got her in! A scratch on the eye can lead to an ulcer to worse. Important to get all eye issues treated by a vet. Good job! Should be feeling better soon!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am new to this site. I have a 16-18 year old cat.
Yesterday about 4am I happened to rub an eye booger from my cats left eye. When I turned the lights on, I see him rubbing the opposite (right) eye and a tear drops out. I’ve never seen this before so I am freaking out and wake up my mom. She tells me it’s nothing to worry about and that he probably got something in his eye. If it was not for my mom I would be taking my cats to the vet over very little things and sometimes I find that frustrating such as times like this. I damp a paper towel and gently wipe his right eye whenever I see his eye watering. Tonight I noticed that there is a cloudy substance. I did not touch it but wiped it away with a damp paper towel. I even took a picture to show it to my mom. She’s now saying it could be an infection and that it’ll go away on it’s own. It’s now the weekend and I won’t be able to see the vet until Monday.
It is just the right eye, he will squint occasionally. Today is the first day I noticed the cloudy discharge. It doesn’t look red or pink. He is eating fine and drinking water and acting normal. I will definately be keeping an eye on him but is there anything

Last edited:

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Trim his nails a little more often. I do so because Opi has big eyes and he will try to clean them and he will scratch his eye. it’s happened twice ever. Found out it was from him scratching. So I trim every other week and eye wash solution with cotton balls 1-2 day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks once more for all the support and advice!

I suspect he might have accidentally scratched himself with his back claws (he is my only declawed cat) or during play with my other old cat, he doesn’t really interact with my younger cats. My two old cats can go from cuddling to attack mode. And I do trim his back claws when I hear him click-clacking around the house. Aside from my mama cat cat who is skittish and can get aggressive if people try to trim her nails. I did occasionally trim 3 out of 4 cats nails. But will definitely trim their nails more often!