Eye bacterial infection vs herpes?

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My cat has been squinting for a couple weeks. I had started giving her terramycin cream thinking it was a bacterial infection. There was no real discharge from the eye or any other symptoms it was only the squinting and under the eyelid was red and inflamed.

After 2 weeks of treating her with the cream, she definitely looked better but still was squinting sometimes. I brought her to the vet today to check to make sure there was no scratch or anything on her eye. She had said that since she had a history of URI as a baby that this was likely a herpes flare up. She said she did not know of any test that determines whether an infection is bacterial vs herpes. Is this the case its diagnosed by history of respiratory infection?

She prescribed an antibiotic and recommended adding lysine to her food which i will do. If this is herpes how serious is it? Any insights from anyone with experience with something like this is much appreciated. Im worried about my other 3 cats as well I would obviously like to prevent it from spreading.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She had said that since she had a history of URI as a baby that this was likely a herpes flare up. She said she did not know of any test that determines whether an infection is bacterial vs herpes. Is this the case its diagnosed by history of respiratory infection?
Hi. I really can't add much value, but what seems to happen with herpes flare ups is that a secondary (bacterial) infection is often involved making it harder to decipher what is what, so to speak. Because of that, vets tend to want to treat what looks like a URI with antibiotics in case a bacterial infection has arisen from a herpes flareup. IMO, it is precautionary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. That makes sense I think I was just taken aback that there was no real definitive way to tell what what what if it is common. Im just hoping it doenst cause any serious complications