Eye allergy to cat

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I saw my eye doctor yesterday and apparently I'm allergic to Neko-chan. She recommend drops as rehoming is not an option, she's a member of the family. Anyone have any advice on where to go from here?

narelle

Lover of Cats and Catfish
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely look into seeing an allergist! I am extremely allergic to cats, but they've been part of my life since I was born so I can't stand the thought of life without at least one cat.
I've been on lots of medications for it, and they can certainly help a ton, but the biggest help for me was immunotherapy shots through an allergist. Its a big time commitment, but the longer you go for the shots the more likely you are to see more significant, longer lasting results.

I've also been advised to get a hepa filter for it (Other air filters aren't fine enough - a protein found in cat saliva is the thing most people are allergic to, which is carried by their super fine dander through the air of your house. Supposedly only paper filters are able to capture the dander.) and to wash my hands between touching a cat and touching my face (though I'm bad about this - I touch my face directly to the cats all the time). I haven't been able to stick with it for any cats in my life, but its also been suggested that using pet cleaning wipes on the cats can help lessen the allergens they're carrying around and exposing you to.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had Neko-chan? Sometimes cat parents build up an immunity to their own cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not too long, so maybe you might still build up an immunity. :crossfingers:

Dave2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife had sore eyes too, we bought a Vax Pure Air 200, problem solved.