Extremely Skinny Cat

Aubry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!!

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. I'll try to keep this as concise as possible.

Herby is almost 11 yr old. Had him since he was a kitten that could fit in my hand. He is a large, fluffy, neutered male. For most of his life he has been 14-15 lb. Which is actually a good weight for him. Large cat, but never fat.
When he was 3-4 yr we had two episodes of bladder crystals. They were able to unblock him both times and he has been on prescription Hills CD ever since. Last spring he got sick and stopped eating. He dropped from 14lb to 12lb within 3 weeks. All blood work was fine, vet thought maybe stress caused by our new kitten. Gave him stuff to boost his appetite and dewormed him. Within a few days he was eating again. He never gained back the lost weight but held steady around 11lbs. Until recently, he started feeling even thinner. So we've been weighing him and he lost 6oz in 5 days. He just looks and feels so frail. Sleeps more than usual and his eyes are often half closed and glazed looking. But other times he will run around and play with the kitten.

This time he isn't off his food, he eats 24/7!! But is still losing weight.
Fresh blood work today. Everything looks great! His teeth and pristine, no pain anywhere. The vet can't find anything wrong with him! Said he's just getting older, nothing to worry about.
I did stop at a natural pet store and she recommended some different food. She said it was still designed for cats with crystals, but much more nutritious than the Hills.
I'm just looking for any ideas or suggestions. This is the best cat I've ever had and I'm afraid we are going to lose him, if I can't get some weight on him. I can't agree with the vet that he is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aubry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I don't know how to edit, but at gets today he was 10.3 lb.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the best cat I've ever had and I'm afraid we are going to lose him, if I can't get some weight on him. I can't agree with the vet that he is fine.
~ Always good to get a second opinion.
Cats like chicken fat. When I steam chicken I give the cats the skin and "share" the meat. ( sometimes I get some too ) A dropper of olive oil is good too - or add to food. My cats sometimes get a treat of sardines and canned salmon or mackerel 😽
I hope Herby is OK and gains a pound or two. :vibes::rbheart:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree about the second opinion. Did they test for hyperthyroidism? There is an additional test even if his range was 'normal' for the thyroid - it's called a 'free T-4 equilibrium dialysis' and is more definitive than just the standard T4 test. What about diabetes (yes, cats can lose weight with this)? Did the blood work involve a Chemistry Profile (not just a CBC)? A Chemistry Profile can identify enzyme and electrolyte imbalances that are not going to show up in a CBC. Urine as well as fecal testing? X-rays and/or an ultrasound to look for digestive tract disorders - or cancer?

Aubry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think they just did the normal t4. Urine was fine, didn't do a fecal though.
The vet knows I usually try to stick to the minimum financially. But today, I wanted some answers.
But as I said he feels the cat it's perfect fine just thin.
I have to find another vet to try, I just don't know where to go.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please verify about the Chemistry Profile (and results), as well as diabetes. Also, find out the specific reading for the T4. I was told that the range for normal is 0.8 - 4.0, but if above 2.5 it could warrant the secondary testing. Can you ask around with neighbors, Facebook, and Next Door Neighbor for references? Maybe even local rescue centers/shelters/SPCA offices for references. You can even get copies of all of your current vet's records and give them to another vet to reduce redundant testing and associated costs.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Low B12 levels can cause weight loss. There is a specific test for it. The vet has to specify it when submitting the blood work.

The only food most urinary issue prone cats need is anything except dry food. Canned is the easiest for most people to feed and it doesn't necessarily need to be a urinary specific formula. Raw and home cooked are also options.

A different vet may have a better idea of why your cat is losing weight. Bring copies of your cat's medical records to the new vet to review.

Aubry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glucose was 110
T4 was 2.4
Only thing that was close to being off was ALP at 16 range of 10-90
I have no idea what that even is!
I'll have to Google
i wanted the full blood panel, he just did the pre anesthesia one.
I had to work my husband and son took the cat in. They didn't realize there were different test. The larger one wasn't offered.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the second opinion- something is going on with your kitty. Yes, cats may look different as they age, with more of the backbone showing, but they shouldn't be losing weight.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While you’re waiting for results you could get some nutrical gel to supplement his food, I believe it’s around 25 cal/teaspoon? Also when my cat needed to gain weight I got a can of KMR and would mix a tablespoon or so into his wet food to make it more calorie dense.