Extremely needy cat - those with experience did getting a 2nd cat help?

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my cat for almost 3 years now and I'm having a hard time continuing to deal with his excessive neediness and clinginess. At times its endearing but other times it's just overbearing. He is the total opposite of an aloof cat and while I love him dearly and also love giving him attention, I just can't do it to the extent that he seems to want. Anyway, has anyone dealt with this and what have your experiences been with getting a 2nd cat? Does that tend to help for them to have another living thing to interact with? I'm a single guy so it's just me around for him to interact with.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem was that the first cat was needing too much play time, as I was working long and irregular hours when I first got him. I said, I've had enough of this biting and attacking and I'm gonna get somebody else for you to beat up on." So I got another cat. Best thing I did for him and me. Two cats is definitely better than one!

The same probably will work for you, and the second cat isn't appreciably more work than just the one.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on the cat. I have a very clingy little girl and while she will sometimes play with the other cats when she wants my attention that is all she wants. But when she wants to play or be groomed the other cats are definitely her first choice. It doesn't hurt to try and see how it goes. Ideally find a foster home that has some kittens so you can do a trial adoption period before committing to keeping the new kitten or cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females tend to be aloof and not in need of friends. Since yours is a boy, there is a very good chance he would bond and be best friends with another male. Males are best buddies, female/male pairs tend to be likje family, but don't play and wrestle and entertain each other as much. Just make sure you match up personalities. If he is shy, look for a shy kitten, not an outgoing one. if he is outgoing and friendly, look for that kind of behavior. A younger cat, up to 6 months, would be more readily accepted. And would be more willing to play and entertain your cat. Two are not any harder to care for, take them both to vet visits at the same time so they smell the same when they come home and don't fight. Be prepared to keep them apart for a while, even keep one in a cage while introducing, so they get used to each other. cats are very much afraid of change and take quite a while to get used to another cat. Good luck, and please come back and keep us informed on how things turn out!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience is that a very clingy, people oriented cat may not appreciate at all having another cat in the home and will continue to want all of your attention. If you are considering adding a cat, I would suggest trying fostering of a kitten or a young cat before committing to a second cat.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tough question because, unlike dogs, cats are not pack animals and really do not seek out friendship from other cats. You little buddy may very well be a people oriented kitty cat and the adding of another feline may make him jealous, thus, more clinging. However, I do agree, if they like one another, that another cat would probably be a great asset in terms of playtime and company for your little guy.