Extremely Fussy Eater: Any Suggestions Appreciated!

BClosson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have come here as a final attempt at finding ANYTHING to solve my cats fussy eating. I have four cats, 3 of them will eat anything, but my one boy, he is two years old, has been refusing wet food lately. He loves wet food, always has and when I started working at a healthier pet food store I started trying better brands (they were used to friskies and fancy feast). They get wet food twice a day and when he hears me getting the plates and the can he screams and meows for it, he really wants it but 9 times out of 10 he sniffs it and walks away. I have found he prefers fish, the one specifically he loved for a while was the earthborn catalina catch; but now he's bored of it. He used to eat the weruva as well but then eventually got sick of that too. I have tried everything. Tiki cat, earthborn, weruva, stella and chewy, daves, wellness, fussie cat, redford, instinct! I tried raw freeze dried, raw frozen and eventually I said fine, you can have the friskies, some wet food is better than none, and now he WONT eat it! He eats his dry food just fine and drinks water, he isn't underweight or anything but it stresses me out. And often times he'll eat his dry food so fast that he regurgitates full kibbles; if he does eat wet food that day however, he doesn't do that. I am at a loss, I don't know what else to do. My bank account as well as my mental capacity have had enough. Any suggestions on making food irresistible is appreciated. I just feel so guilty when all his siblings are eating and he's so excited to eat and then sniffs it and doesn't want it. I've tried all different textures and consistencies as well. Please help, I am so desperate! -sincerely an exhausted but dedicated cat mom

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds crazy, but one of my cats won't eat wet food unless I put it on a spoon for her to eat off of, rather than in the bowl. Might be whisker fatigue, buts she's not spoiled at all 🙄
Try putting it on a plate, adding water to make it a slurry or feeding in a different area of the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BClosson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do feed them on small disposable paper plates and sometimes i'll hold it up for him and he'll sniff it but still walk away from it. I've tried feeding him in different rooms or like following where he goes and continually putting it back in front of him but he just has no interest if it's not exactly what he wanted and I for the life of me cannot figure out what it is he wants! I was thinking of purchasing frozen fermented fish stock to add to it to make it smellier, he seems to like fish and he tends to like the more liquidy food that has some chunks of fish in it. I'm just so stressed. Currently looking him in the eyes with a glass of wine in my hand telling him "this is why mommy drinks"

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not ideal but have you tried just letting him have the dry food in a slow feeder bowl? That slows my cat down enough to prevent throwing It back up.

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't know if your cat has the same problem that my cat had.
She would not touch wet food, only dry.
As she got older she started getting hairball problems.
Vet did a work up on her and found she had IBS.
Once she got on the medication, she started eating everything.
Gained to much weight, so now she's, kind of, on a diet.
But she's old, so I kind of spoil her.
I wish I have found out sooner.
She seems so much happier now.