Extremely cat aggressive cat

thull08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I’m hoping someone has some insight or suggestions, about 2 months ago I adopted a cat- who I knew upfront would be a challenging cat, but after months at the shelter and an increasingly bad rap (fighting other cats when the shelter tried to socialize him, bit employees) I decided I had to save him before he became unadoptable in their eyes. I adopted him knowing he hated cats- and I do have other cats. Shelter knew this as well- and we all agreed we could keep him seperate and away from cats.

Background on Whirl (aggressive cat): he came to the county shelter as a stray- not neutered, with an “obvious gait abnormality”. They did all sorts of labs, xrays, etc. Couldn’t find a reason for his abnormal walking.They deemed it an unknown neurological issue, and also said he seemed very dizzy. I didn’t see how he walked when the shelter took him in, but he walks normally at home and shiws no signs of dizziness. He’s not good at jumping- he often jumps a little short of his target and flops back onto the floor. Shelter estimated him at 1 year- my instincts say he’s a senior. One of his eyes has a slight haze, and he just looks older to me.
Okay back to behavior, I keep him in my room/bathroom most of the time, he’s content but gets bored. He’s very affectionate and sleeps at the end of my bed. Loves people but will get into “attack mode” and bite- not hard occasionally. I have tried to socialize him with my cats. Sometimes he can make it an hour without fighting, but I have never in my life seen a cat so intent on fighting another cat, immediately. Most times when I let him out with the other cats- he immediately starts stalking and attacks a cat- and this is not playing- he is out for blood. He literally huffs and puffs when he sees a cat and it’s only a matter of time before he attacks them. Both my spouse and I have been bitten- extremely hard, when breaking up a fight. Whirl does NOT come out of fight mode. He will swing around and bite so hard and so quick. Now I have learned to pick him up with a towel mid fight and he won’t bite me then. He really only viciously bites in situations where a cat fight has to be broken up- but he absolutely “snaps” and he doesn’t snap out of it easily. Now I know I signed up for a challenging extreme alpha cat with potential neurological issues- and I keep him seperate from my other cats any time I can’t be right there to keep everyone safe, but I guess I’m wondering if such a cat aggressive cat is totally hopeless to socialize? It would have been more ideal for him to be in a cat free home, but his time was running out at the shelter and the shelter and I both knew it. And because he showed aggression and signs of neurological or unknown disease- the shelter had to tell everyone that upfront making him even more unappealing, and I just couldn’t not save him- there’s so much good in him, despite his issues. I just wish I understood why he hates cats so viciously, and why it seems like he almost enjoys fighting- because it’s his absolute immediate instinct when he sees a cat 😫 here’s a few pics of my challenging guy: he has a permanent grumpy expression but there’s a people loving cat in there!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Bless you for saving Whirl!!! Have you had him checked out by your own vet? That is pretty much standard even when adopting a cat from a shelter - despite their remarks that they did all kinds of testing on him. I would only believe that if you have actual copies of all those tests. Having your own vet check him out - and provide to them copies of whatever tests you do have - could give you a better idea of his actual age and might give you some insight as to whether he has any specific issues that are treatable in some manner.

It is possible that his physical 'deficiencies' (whatever they are) - as well as his background before the shelter and you - are what has caused his occasional antagonistic behavior to your other cats. He could have been 'bullied' in the past and is overly suspicious of how other cats might treat him. He could have been abused, which lead up his current mobility issues. It is likely he was a loner at some time in the past, and I would agree with you that he very well is older than what the shelter thinks. If he sometimes gets a bit aggressive with you, that could also tie to his prior life.

Also, just a last note - Feeby, who adopted me at around 2 years old (she is now 17+ yo) has never liked other cats. She has tried to attack any stray or neighbor cat, through the screen on our patio, if one happens to wander through our yard. I don't know what went on in her life before coming to live me, but I suspect something attributed to how she feels about other cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, he does have a grumpy expression, doesn't he. :catman: But he's a very handsome boy, and looks very healthy.

About his aggression, it may just take a lot longer than 2 months for him to not want to attack your other cats whenever he sees them, and probably will require you to go back to the beginning and start the introductions over again.

Here's a couple TCS articles on the topic:
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Plus:
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks for adopting him, and likely saving his life. I hope eventually he and your other cats become a happy fur-mily. :catlove:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think time, up to a year and beyond will take care of his extreme aggression. He may not get along with the other cats but he WILL coexist with them in time, that is not unusual with a lot of cats, but mostly females in my experience. Two months is just a second in cat time, this will take a lot of time. He must have been extremely hurt in his experiences with other cats and it may even account for his problems with his gait if it was a brain injury. You don't want your other cats to get hurt though in the meantime. This may be a time when a large dog kennel might be a help. Put him in it with a small turned-over box with a hole cut in it so he can hide if he needs to. That way he won't feel exposed and trapped. you might even cover one end of the kennel to help him feel safe. This way he and your other cats will get used to each other's movements and smells. If you can, let him roam the house freely and keep your other cats in the kennel for a while to exchange scents. If you have too many, put a couple in the kennel and a couple in his room and shut them in for a while. He may never be best buddies with them but they will eventually live together in peace. Also, get a large thick, stiff piece of cardboard to stick between cats if a fight breaks out so you don't get bit. A kickeroo toy is great too, to distract a stalker if thrown towards them, it gets rid of a lot of aggression and energy. You can get them online at Walmart or Amazon.
Bless you, for taking him in, I don't think he would have survived without you, aggressive cats are often put down. if things don't improve in a few months, maybe you could find him a home as an only cat, I pray everything works out.....