Extremely annoying cat

tweeboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats, both 13 years old - both rescue cats.

One is a good boy - never demanding or anything similar

The other is extremely annoying - he appears to have a fixation on my wife, following her around like a lost puppy - he also doesn't sleep during the night - at all !!!. Waking us up EVERY night at anything between 1:30 am and 5:00 am - to be fed and let outdoors (even when the cat flap is left open)

We have had his since he was 9 weeks old and his behaviour changed for the worse, shortly after his (blood) sister disappeared, 8 years ago !!

If we ignore him - he scratches the beds, doors, carpets etc etc

He is fit and healthy - weighing approx 12 lbs - but always wants food  (when we feed him - he appears to forget that he has just eaten and wants more 1/2 hour later)..

He is extremely timid of loud noises and even when the dustcart comes round weekly - he runs and hides under a bed !!

He had half of his thyroid gland removed by the vet, 3 years ago due to a loss of weight problem and we have had this re-checked and all is fine on

that side of things - so it appears to be psychological - but how do you take a scaredy cat to the shrink ?

He would run a mile

My wife is fed up with him and wants to get rid of him - but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt

Any/All advice welcome

Thanks

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, your cat can tell that you dislike him and it's going to make his behavior worse.

Rehoming him is probably a death sentence, so be aware before you make that decision.

He could benefit from an anti-anxiety medication. I also wonder if he has parasites that are making him hungry. What do you feed him? How often?

Do you play with your cat? If not, he is probably bored and craving any attention you give him, even if it's negative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweeboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is molly coddled beyond belief

Fed on demand

No parasites - he is regularly wormed and flea treated

We have tried FELIWAY on many occasions and it has no effect on him

I am wondering whether it could be his thyroid playing up again -  even though the vet says it's not

Or could he be suffering from FELINE ALTZHEIMERS  - He may just "forget" stuff - like the fact that he has just eaten or how to work the cat flap ?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is one behavior hypothesis (which I cant tell you whether is correct or not since I have no scientific info- then please take it as it is - an hypothesis):

Cats approach the human companionship as a surogate  of the feline family. Mother is a central piece of the family, so one member of the human family gets the label of "Mother Cat". Anything that follows is a copy of the kitty-dam relation, including harsh play, night activity and so on. According to this hypothesis (I do not remember where I read about it), this relation has a preferential status (similar to the one in nature). Sometime is shared to a certain extent with brothers or other companions (feline or humans).

Bref, your cat loves your wife as being his mother and this love is beyond any control. It is a true, deep love.

Believe me or not.

===

What I would to is to try changing the biorithm of this problematic cat, by playing more with him during daytime - perhaps for 2-3 hours, preferabley 5 hours (which is the time a cat hunts), so the cat will sleep during night. I am not saying to stay 6 hourswith your cat, but to make sure the cat has something to do for this time, or for longest possible time.

===

There is also an advise of Jackson Galaxy on this non-sleep cat issue (see on youtube), that, with all do respect, I would not reccomand, because it is extremely frustrating for cats and does rise dangers during the training period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweeboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting but he won't play -  he just sits there staring at the mouse/laser pointer or whatvever........

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Then, considering that cat sleeps 16 hrs  per day,  in this case the cat will be active during night.

Cat is active dawn and dust. Sleeps when has nothing to do, or just sitting and watching.  When (day or night) the cat sleeps, is the owner choice, primarily - the cat is not to blame for following the instinct in the first place. 

===

Laser pointer is a real mood-killer- because the cat never really catch the spot. This is very annoying and stressful for the cat. Cat needs a reward after hunting: to catch the prey (read - the toy in this case). Never happens with the laser spot. It is like kissing an image in the mirror.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shame on your wife for wanting to get rid of him and God bless you for wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he is not getting enough to eat at 12 lbs. and that is why he wants more food. Why are you assuming he forgot he just ate? It sounds like he is starved for attention and since he lost his blood sister 8 years ago he has adopted your wife--who does not like him. Poor kitty.

Feed him more and have more positive interactions with him. He does not deserve to be forgotten.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Old age could be a culprit. Y'all have had him forever, it would be a shame to get rid of him now that he's a senior cat. It just wouldn't end well for him. I understand your frustration though and if you can't change his behavior maybe you could change the way you think about it. Celebrate his old age with your wife. Talk about the changes both good and bad and make jokes about the changes you don't like. Turn it into a bonding experience. It sounds corny, I know, but alot of how we feel about a situation is in what we tell ourselves.

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, both 13 years old - both rescue cats.
One is a good boy - never demanding or anything similar
The other is extremely annoying - he appears to have a fixation on my wife, following her around like a lost puppy - he also doesn't sleep during the night - at all !!!. Waking us up EVERY night at anything between 1:30 am and 5:00 am - to be fed and let outdoors (even when the cat flap is left open)
We have had his since he was 9 weeks old and his behaviour changed for the worse, shortly after his (blood) sister disappeared, 8 years ago !!
If we ignore him - he scratches the beds, doors, carpets etc etc

He is fit and healthy - weighing approx 12 lbs - but always wants food  (when we feed him - he appears to forget that he has just eaten and wants more 1/2 hour later)..

He is extremely timid of loud noises and even when the dustcart comes round weekly - he runs and hides under a bed !!

He had half of his thyroid gland removed by the vet, 3 years ago due to a loss of weight problem and we have had this re-checked and all is fine on
that side of things - so it appears to be psychological - but how do you take a scaredy cat to the shrink ?

He would run a mile

My wife is fed up with him and wants to get rid of him - but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt

Any/All advice welcome
Thanks
Sounds to me your cat has separation anxieties and may have dementia?

I would seek some kind of remedy. Look into Safe Space essentially oil by Jackson Galaxy

Please do not give up on him. He's only 12 years old. Give him few more years to live and retire with people he loves. Hes like grandparents age just imagine. Good luck