Extreme Raw Food Aggression

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my boys a combination of homemade ground raw food and canned food for about a month now. Every week I like to treat my boys with a larger whole chunk of meat to keep their teeth and jaws healthy. Chicken wingtips have been my go-to so far, but I saw some turkey necks for sale at the butchers the other day and decided to give those a whirl (cut into 3 pieces).

Now, one of my cats doesn't touch bone-in meat at all, although I offer it to him every week. The other boy takes it and dives right in, gnawing on it like his life depends on it. He gets pretty vocal with his growls when he's chowing down so I just stay close enough to make sure he's not choking or anything.

Today though, I gave him the 3rd of a turkey neck. He did his usual growling, but then he also started to hiss, which he doesn't usually do. When he started to get really into the neck and I heard the bone crunching and snapping I had a thought that maybe he could break his teeth, since the turkey neck bones are so much bigger than chicken wingtip bones so I tried to take it away.

He BIT me, which he's never done before. I can take away his ground raw food, his canned food, and his kibble without so much as a stink-eye from him, but this time he actually bit me HARD. Like, I'm bleeding from this puncture wound on my finger and it's coming through the band-aid. I was handling raw meat so I quickly washed my hands with soap and hot water, then put on neosporin and the band-aid, but I'm still shocked that my sweet little cuddle-bug would bite me. He's usually my chill lapcat, and my other boy is the 'run-everywhere-and-jump-at-the-walls-psycho'.

I just wanted to ask if any of you had ever had any experience with raw food aggression like this? And what can I do to stop him being so possessive of his raw food? If my other cat so much as walks into the same room as him when he's eating the chunks of raw meat he starts growling and swiping at the air. Should I stop giving him large chunks of raw and just stick with the ground raw I've been feeding for meals?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I'm sorry that happened. Keep a close eye on the injury. Cats bites can be pretty nasty. You may need medical treatment if there is any redness and swelling.

I've never had a cat react like that with their raw food, but did have a dog who was exactly like that when I gave him pigs ears to chew on. I quit buying them for him.

I wouldn't necessarily stop giving him larger pieces of meat, but obviously you won't want to approach him while he's eating them. The larger pieces are good for dental health.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't approach my boys when they are in full carnivore mode. My biggest boy takes his necks into the living room, the central part of the house, and turns around where he can watch everything around him, and talks to himself while he's murdering it.
The boys are supposed to be eating in the dining room, and I can handle them while they're eating their ground and chunked meat, but I would be very careful about trying to take his kill from him in the living room.
Watch that bite. First thing when you get up in the morning. Any swelling - do not even play around with that head to urgent care. My friend had to have procedures performed on his infected bite, and my boyfriend's arm started to puss next morning after breaking up a fight the night before.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had something similar happen last week when I had raw chicken thighs up on the counter. They were still in the plastic wrapping and my cat really wanted to get at it. When I tried to pick him up to put him down off the counter he growled and hissed at me.

I have 2 theories. Either he thinks I’m trying to take his food away and he’s getting really pissed off, or something about the smell or raw blood makes him feel like he’s dealing with live prey and he feels a little on defense? Cats tend to act out what they’re feeling to anyone around them at the time. They can’t really inhibit their natural instincts, especially when they feel threatened or on edge. So he may have just associated me with the chicken and taken his aggression out on me.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats also freak out whenever they see raw meat and go into hunter mode. They do the same with croissants. I've been bitten pretty deep before, when I was feeding freeze-dried minnows and I was completely fine after washing the puncture, but definitely keep an eye on your bite. They can get very bad.

The aggression isn't too concerning--pretty sure he's just being a normal carnivore. Maybe in the future, you might want to seperate the two kitties while they eat so they feel less threatened, or so they don't lash out at each other. Just a thought!