Explain your cat's name

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie is named Gracie because I really wanted human names this time for pets because I think it's cute. I had already picked out the names Maggie and Gracie before we even got them because we thought we were getting 2 girls. Boone turned out to be a boy and my husband didn't like the name Maggie so we were left with just Gracie. But it fits her. Gracie seems like a sassy rebellious person and she is definitely that.

We were having a hard time coming up with a boy name. I asked my husband if any hockey players had cool names and then I remembered I had always thought Boone Jenner of the Blue Jackets had such a cool name so we agreed on Boone. Plus it sort of honored husband's uncle who passed a few years ago that he was really close to. His nickname was Boone because he was a big guy both in height and weight. Resembled Daniel Boone.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Luci for her name because she was described as a bit of a trouble maker on the site of the shelter. It took a little while for me to really pick a name, but the description rang true. She was a wild one, climbing in the curtains, managing to get on the roof. She was a little devil alright. So Lucifer was a solid fit😂 Luci for short, also because it sounds a little more feminine.
It also took a little while to settle on a name for Pandora. I had the idea fairly quickly, but thought it might be rude or mean to follow through with it. She was found in a little box after all, now it could be Pandora's box! I couldn't think of a better fit for her, and she showed it was the right choice. Innocent looking on the outside, but surprisingly cunning on the inside.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honey is named after Honey Sugarman (from Bojack Horseman) bc I loved that name and then all I could think about was that Netflix character
97DA86EA-385F-4BD6-92DC-AAE89965EA3B.jpeg

And Ruby was named like that because when I was trying to adopt her I was constantly listening to Ruby-Twenty One Pilots
3229072F-46D2-4064-92E5-397315A58D1D.jpeg

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My last two litter mates were Tobe and Chessie. They were black Bombays rescued at 9mos. I had a plan, I was initially looking for and orange and a black to name pumpkin and boo since it was October but meet these two and fell in love. I named her Chessie because growing up there were train tracks near my house. I would see a common freight car called Chessie Systems whose logo was a sleeping black cat head on a yellow pillow and always wanted to name a cat Chessie. Tobe got his name because I hadn’t named him yet when I took them for first vet check, when asked his name I said he was “to be named later” so that become Tobe. My only pic available on this phone is a old pic I took a shot of from when babies.
45CD73FB-B3AE-4987-AAAB-6ED86D2B09DE.jpeg

Casper got his name because his previous owners named him Snowball which I did not like. Casper seemed a much better fit. Cody was named that at time of rescue and I kept it since it was different enough from Casper to not cause confusion and he just seemed a Cody.
BF7D3195-A9E5-45CA-81BF-5B729A8FA0D5.jpeg

Gilbie my tragic love was being called Georgie and I did not like it but wanted a name similar so it would be easy to adjust to ❤
4BCA3791-DB16-441D-BF5E-50D72DEFCE88.jpeg

And now Loki and Natasha. Their foster parents were calling them Hidey (Because he hid all the time) and Sasha. I always love the character Loki from Marvel movies, and thought it would be a great name for him because I was NOT going to call him Hidey 🙄. In trying to find names for her I started by trying to find brother and sister names in Greek mythology and then going to Norse mythology because of Loki. Loki’s sisters were Angela (non starter) and Hela (she is where Hell comes from so not good karma). So I went to Marvel Universe and chose Natasha since it was close to Sasha which I didn’t mind.
Loki:
29104554-04B6-43ED-8FD9-13DC3571102A.jpeg

Natasha
ABB03474-A841-462D-9639-CB7E20A339B8.jpeg

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Juno was named Stella when I adopted her, but that just made me think of Street Car Named Desire, and Stellaaaaahhh! And I couldn't keep screaming her name in my head for the rest of her life. 🤪

I had a couple names in mind for the first few weeks, but Juno seemed to fit-- a regal Roman goddess. Her full name is Tiny Juno, aka TJ, because a good friend (mostly jokingly) wanted me to name my cat after her son TJ (after I had incidentally given my new car the same name as her other kid). I regret nothing. She's totally a Juno (and a TJ). I'm kinda glad my friend pressed for TJ, because it really narrowed down the options and led to me what I think is the perfect name for my little Juno.
20210820_100231.jpg

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sir Eats-A-Lot was Norman from the shelter. My contractors working here gave him that name. Chesterfield was just Chester, which worked for him, but his buddy was a knight of the realm and plain old Chester wouldn't do, so I had to call him Chesterfield, which gave him a bit more panache. Meep was named that because her kitten meow went "meeeeep!"

They don't know their names, but sometimes answer to "Kitty."

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Remy and Maisie together they were named Sammie and Magnolia, respectively. I didn't like the names enough to keep them. Since Maisie had been at the shelter for 2 years, I didn't want to change her name too much, so since they also called her Maggie, I chose Maisie because it was similar and a name I liked it. Remy was also a name that I liked that I first heard of from the movie Ratatouille. I tend to name my animals names that I love but would probably not use on a child. That is also how I named Flora. Flora was almost named Poppy because my nieces love the movie Trolls and the main character is Poppy, but I felt she looked more like a Flora. I did end up using Poppy for my dog.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a couple names in mind for the first few weeks, but Juno seemed to fit-- a regal Roman goddess. Her full name is Tiny Juno, aka TJ, because a good friend (mostly jokingly) wanted me to name my cat after her son TJ (after I had incidentally given my new car the same name as her other kid). I regret nothing. She's totally a Juno (and a TJ). I'm kinda glad my friend pressed for TJ, because it really narrowed down the options and led to me what I think is the perfect name for my little Juno.
I am a huge NFL fan. The initials T.J. would always make me think of a player (T.J. Watt) on the Pittsburgh Steelers. So I will just call her Juno if you don't mind.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got two cat's different litters 2 weeks apart my hubby wanted to name them Tik and Tac. Our bridge boy came first Tik. Then our supposedly Tac arrived and wouldn't answer or even look at us when we said his name. So I asked him what name he liked and started to say name's I thought suited him. After a couple of suggestions I said Patches and he came running over for a cuddle, so he picked his name. I think he made a good choice.
20200613_133153.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is Lilith. That was her shelter name. I liked it so we kept it. Her full name is Lilith Belle (our last name). Her middle name Belle was added by my DD. I usually call her Baby Lily, Lily Belle or Little Belle because she's quite petite.

1630821446074.png

This is her sister Sophie. Her shelter name was Midge. When I adopted them, I was really only looking to get one cat. I think we all know that plans and cats don't mix. :lol: I ended up taking both girls. My DD was away at college when I adopted them. I called her from the shelter parking lot and told her she had two new sisters and not one. She came up with Sophie's new name while we were talking. Her full name is Sophiesaurus Rex (our last name). DD had the idea to add the saurus to her name because she can get rather destructive when she gets the zoomies and I added the Rex for flow.

1630821857076.png

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats recognize their names and come running when called, unless they are having a lazy day. LOL.

I initially named my cats and fosters by beverages / alcoholic names. Then I ran out of ideas having as rescues keep being plucked from the streets. But my house cats are named, Bourbon, Barley, Pepsi. Only my Graham has a biscuit name. :)

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love these Biblical names! So cool to find fellow believers here :)
I love Biblical names too. Not only because I am a Christian, but also because many of them are unique (you will not find many cats who are named after Malachi) and the character personalities. Plus, there is no shortage of nonhuman Bible characters (including one talking donkey).

My next door neighbors used to have a cat named Luke. Before I knew that, I called him Courtney because my HOA is the Courtyards.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I've read on TCS, at shelters, kittens (8 weeks +) are the easiest to place. It is the older cats , 1 year +, that are the most difficult to place. No longer cute.
Whoever told you 6-week old kittens are easy to place is wrong. They are not put up for adoption yet because the kitten must be at least 8 weeks old to have sterilization surgery, and that is cutting it close. Some shelters will let people adopt a 7-week old kitten, but make an adopter wait until after the surgery to bring him/her home. If the kitten is a runt, they have to wait longer.

MiloTheBlackCat

Mama of Milo and Breeze
Adult Cat
Purraise
'Milo' is the name he had when we got him from a friend :) We didn't change it cause he already knew his name, but he did have a nickname 'Mimi' from a little girl he lived with, we didn't call him that much so it seems he had forgotten the name, his new nicknames are 'Cat' and 'Milo (My little) Kitty'! :lol: