Explain your cat's name

Noahh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shelter we adopted Snuggles from said his name was Snuggles because he loved snuggling. (Not true, haha) We still kept it though because it is a cute name, and surprisingly quite uncommon. Explain your cat's name!

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Kila was the name she came with! I'm not sure where it comes from but her sisters also had K names (Kiki, Kiwi). It's a very unique name. Originally we were going to rename her but before we brought her home we were talking about her a lot and it grew on me so I decided to keep it!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Demi was a girl. I always liked the name from celebrities like Demi Moore and Demi Lovato. By the time I found out he was a boy, it was too late because he already knew his name. It works okay for a boy.

With Maggie, I just always liked the name and it fits her.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiancé named his cat Trinity because he already had Neo. Then he discovered Trinity was a boy, and shortened it to “Trin”. He adopted Gohan as a feral kitten at 5 weeks and thought he was so small and cute, so he named him after a Dragon Ball Z character that was a kid.

Olive came with her name and I thought it was rude to change it. I’ve never actually named any pet.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Sammy (Our Tuxedo) was was the result of us taking care of a pregnant stray. He was born in our bathroom and we had no idea if he was a male or female, so we called him 'Sammy' as a way to honor a cat we LOVED from years ago (Samantha) but also to give him a name that wouldn't have to be changed when we figured out his gender. Probably not the best way to name a cat, but his name fits him!

Our little brown/gold tabby is Jasper. He got his name because my mom REALLY loved the name Jasper. Not much of a story there =) His initial name when we adopted him from the rescue was Camry but he didn't seem to respond to it at all, and it didn't feel like it was HIS name.

Isabel (the floofy gray cat) got her name because as a kitten, she would TEAR around the house like a little hurricane. And since the only hurricane I knew was 'Isabel' she got her name from that. Initially we thought to name her Stormy because of her coat, but I really love Isabel for her. She fits it, she's so prissy and girly.

Lastly, our late CiCi. This one hurts, because she was actually named after a family friend who passed away. His name was Carlos Casado. So when we adopted CiCi, we named her Cookie Cat because her fur reminded us of cookie dough ice cream, but it fit because we also wanted to name her after Carlos. So...even though her 'full' name was Cookie Cat, we only called her CiCi after Carlos.

Attachments

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My fiancé named his cat Trinity because he already had Neo. Then he discovered Trinity was a boy, and shortened it to “Trin”. He adopted Gohan as a feral kitten at 5 weeks and thought he was so small and cute, so he named him after a Dragon Ball Z character that was a kid.

Olive came with her name and I thought it was rude to change it. I’ve never actually named any pet.

That's too funny!!! We had a cat named Sassy who we thought was female, but turned out to be a male who had already been fixed. We didn't change his name though, because by that point he was used to the name Sassy lol

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remy was named after the rat in Ratatouille. He was originally named Sammie. Maisie was originally named Magnolia "Maggie" and had been at the shelter for 2 years so I thought it would be easier to change her name if it was similar. I would have kept her name, but we've had a few Maggies in my family (specifically extended) so I didn't want to have multiple pets named Maggie.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bynx was once Batman (in the shelter) but as much as I love comic characters, I just didn't want to keep it. I also found he has too much personality and almost human qualities so I wanted a more "human" name. So when I remembered the character from Hocus Pocus (a human cursed to be a cat forever) Binx, a black cat...it just fit.
1583006762428.png

Lily, was formerly Lila at the shelter. And although it was a pretty name, I felt she needed something not quite as "mature" sounding. She's a pretty, tiny, delicate little fuzzball and needed an equally fitting name. One of my favorite flowers is Lily of the valley, and so that is where the name Lily was born.
1583006963171.png

Chester was formerly Atticus at the shelter. I had zero attachment to that name, and it just didn't fit for us. Our late cat Hank, was named Chester at the shelter we got him, and we did love the name, but my husband SO wanted to call him Hank, and I loved that for him as well, but we loved the name Chester and said we would use it the next time we got a cat that it suited. So when "Atticus" chose us at the shelter, we both looked at him and said at the same time, "he would be a great Chester", so the rest is history, and we had to bring him home. Chester is on the right, (Lily on the left).
1583007464434.png

This is our Hank (RIP)
1583007758849.png

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another Dragonball reference here (haha) I'm a facially-scarred (acne) socially awkward punk and so is Yamcha, my fave character from Dragonball, so naturally when I got a cat, I named it after Yamcha's best buddy, Puar, the flying shape-shifting cat!
1583073411565.png

he was originally called Mr. Smith, but I have no idea why. He didn't respond to the name, but is somewhat responsive to Puar because of the "puh" sound just being more naturally attention-getting, lol.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greg, short for gregarious. Outgoing, inquisitive, always comes to the door to ses who is there, curious about guests.

20191230_145236-1.jpg

Arnold....after " Arnold Schwarzenegger". A king amongst cats. Formidable, impressive, confident, one of a kind.

My old workout buddy also named his huge cat ......"Arnold".

20181130_102114-1.jpg

Last edited:

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
What a fun thread because: we love talking about our wonderful cats ❤
Jemima got her name after Jemima Puddle duck from “Peter Rabbit” because she was just so cute! I’m not sure why I thought of it, but it truly fits her. When I looked up the meaning of Jemima, it means “dove”. I really was reeling from the loss of Cotton my beloved Japanese bobtail. Our other cat, Beju was diagnosed with the same thing that got Cotton and I was just devastated. Cotton passed in October of 2018 and Beju was diagnosed in January 2019. In July of 2019, I decided for my birthday I was ready for another kitten. So, Jemima, my little dove. Sadly and ironically, my absolutely best dog in the world, Makita was diagnosed with a tumor pressing on his spine 😞😢 in August. Beju passed in September and Makita was put down in October 2019. We lost all our beloved pets in a years time. Of course, Jemima was without Beju, then Makita (who she grew to adore; even if he didn’t reciprocate lol) and she was distressed by it all. Weeell, I knew she was really lonely 😞. On a whim I stopped in the humane society here in Bend. I was pretty sure I wouldn’t find a kitten but I looked anyway. Looking at cats and kittens, I went around a corner, and tah-dah! Gin 😂! The very image of Jemima in grey and black. I loved him at first sight! But, I’m sorry, but I’m not having a cat named after alcohol (his sister was tonic😳). I called him jokingly “Lucky Luciano” because as I was signing the adoption papers, a couple with a older child requested to adopt Gin. They wanted a barn cat! Well somehow related to his nickname, we came up with “Lucca” which is Italian (and interestingly, Russian). My husband is 1/2 Italian and it seemed to fit! Jemima/Lucca 💕
BA826C3E-C08C-427C-B1F1-B007A6E596A0.jpeg
9C979FCC-E935-4DC4-9CCA-928574699F9A.jpeg