"expired" Never-openned Dry Cat Food Still Good?

Nontentional

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! Quick question if you don't mind:

I bought Wellness brand Core Grain-Free original formula dry cat food like a year or 2 ago. I've never opened it because I transitioned my cats to wet food all the time. Unfortunately life dictates I need to give the kitties dry food (either that or let them go hungry, and we all know that's not a choice) due to working conditions. Both of the 12 lbs bags I have, have never been opened, but they state "best buy October 2017".

Would these bags of food be safe for my critters? Thank you for your help!

Been a long time userof this forum, but thisis my first post, so be gentle! Thank you again!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dry food lasts a long time and often the Sell by date is used for inventory more than anything else. The date helps them to rotate the stock. But from what I know the real test is to open it and smell it. If it has a rancid smell then the oils and fat have gone bad. If it is a very mild smell lets the cats smell it and see if they are interested in eating it. If its a strong rancid smell the toss it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nontentional

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank youso much I will do exactly that! I'll let everyone know to... for science!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use something extremely out of date, but that bag is only a few months past. Personally I would still use it if it looked and smelled okay. I tend not to be super worried about expiration dates (including with my own food) because they're pretty arbitrary and usually long before the food would actually spoil.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I'd say smell it, offer it, test it. And use it fast! Maybe keep it stored, once opened (sealed up of course), in the fridge to preserve any fragile fats.
Also, welcome =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use something extremely out of date, but that bag is only a few months past. Personally I would still use it if it looked and smelled okay. I tend not to be super worried about expiration dates (including with my own food) because they're pretty arbitrary and usually long before the food would actually spoil.
I feel the same and have used food (canned/boxed especially) past the best by dates with no issues, but this isn't to say I'm scarfing down milk that says "Best if used by the Revolutionary War" or anything, LOL =)

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depends on how you stored it. If in your hot kitchen, I'd pitch it as the oils go rancid. If you stored in your cool dry basement, it should be fine for up to a year past expiration. We have a storage closet outside of the kitchen. Food is still good 6 months after expiration, but at a year old, smells off.