Expired Buprenex

stray cat 14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some syringes with doses of Buprenex for my cat. I can't seem to find any info whether or not the expired drug is harmful, ineffective, or both. Anyone have any ideas?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With regards to human prescription medication, it tends to be effective way beyond the expiration date. The military tested some drugs that were expired that they kept on hand and found that most were good even 15 years beyond the expiration date. But the general recommendation is to use expired drugs only when the consequences are not very high. For example, if you use expired aspirin (Remember, I am talking about people meds - do NOT use aspirin on a cat) to relieve a headache and it doesn't work, there's very little consequence. But if you're taking meds to keep a steady heartbeat, you would not want to place bets on expired meds.

Specifically, Buprenex is a narcotic pain reliever and I would not keep it around the house. It should be given under veterinary supervision. I would dispose of it during the next prescription medication disposal roundup. These are typically run by the FBI or other law enforcement agencies in your area.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually drugs lose their effectiveness over time, how expired is it?  I agree with the above poster, best to dispose of it.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never given buprenex and know little about it, but I have a concern or two.

From a glance online, buprenex for humans comes in ampules. Does the company make preloaded syringes for cats?  At what point in the process is the drug put into a syringe for a cat? If the drug was loaded into syringes at the vet's office, after all this time, I'd be worried about contamination.

Also, on one website, it states that buprenex ampules should not be exposed to light for long periods of time. I'm wondering if buprenex comes as a clear liquid and after expiry and long exposure to light becomes cloudy (and like IV fluid for sub-q), should not be used. I'm also assuming that long exposure to light might affect the efficacy of the drug.

I'd dispose of the expired buprenex and ask your vet for new.

If your cat is having issues with pain, it is time to see the vet again anyway.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know where in the process it gets put into the syringes.  My kitties have been on it a few times and the doses came in separate syringes.  The vet always just gave me enough for 2 or 3 days and I used all of them each time because it's so darn hard sometimes to know if a kitty is in pain.  The stuff is expensive though so I would also be wondering about using some that was left over.

I did always get the syringes inside one of those medicine bottles that were made with the tinted plastic.  I guess that was to keep them out of the light.

Last edited:

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are very few Rx medicines that is safe for cats, so *any* time my stingy vet prescribes buprenex I hoard it like it is liquid gold.

Because, essentially it is.

I would NEVER throw such a valuable drug away.  NEVER.

I am sure others have different experiences, but all of the vets I've worked with are incredibly stingy when it comes to offering medicine,

and just asking for more based on your own observation that your cat is hurting is not good enough, according to my vets.

I have to haul a scared, sick cat in the car, often already diagnosed by them, stressing them even more, for an "update-evaluation" and office visit expense, just to tell me what I already know.

They claim to not want you to have your cat on something like buprenex for "extended periods"(I'm not askng to have my cat on it for weeks and weeks, please!), because it is an opiate and cats can develop a tolerance for it (need more and more to get the same result),

and they also are under pressure, supposedly, because buprenex is a human drug that is sometimes used to wean drug addicts off harder illegal drugs- similar to methadone clinics.  So I think some addicts try to gain a buprenex hit from vets, or get extra to sell illegally.

But for responsible pet owners who need a go-to occasional pain relief for cats that know what they're doing and *are* responsible and experienced with acute and chonic feline illnesses, having an ampule on hand is a tremendous plus.

I have used it expired for over a year, and it still works to make my cat more comfortable from an injury or FLUTD flare-up.

Last edited:

hannajojo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Totally agree.  I am a homeopathic practitioner and have also treated cats and dogs on many occasions.   I keep a small supply of traditional pain relievers for humans which have really been a great help at a needy time of emergency for myself and loved ones.  I also am disposed to keep the same for beloved animals.  Educating oneself in this case is crucial, and in the case of a drug you have used, observed in use and have handled, for dire emergencies, I would never throw away a valuable drug.  I live in earthquake country and am always looking for ideas to keep in my emergency kit.  You just never know when you may wish you had something you casually threw out in the assumption that other help might always be available.