Experienced single cat owners: What's your final word on the single cat experience?

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for the final say on it. After years of being a single cat owner, how would you sum it up?

I'm a new single cat owner and im still navigating the experience. My humphrey is going on 6 months old and there are still challenges for me (multiple play sessions a day can get tiring when im trying to work from home) sometimes I think maybe it'e easier to have 2, but i don't hav ethe space for it but would consider it further along down the track.

Is it really more work? Does your single cat bond to you more than having multiple cats? Would you prefer to have more? Let me know your experiences and your teachings

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had single cats, including my Poppycat now.

He is extremely bonded to me. In his case his first mama, who loved him dearly made the difficult decision to rehome him because he wasn't happy in a multicat home. He was four-five years at that time.

It's more about the cat's needs, and often they don't need a buddy, at least not older kitties.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had a cat and a dog, two cats, and currently a single cat. The first year was hard for me as a single cat mom. Kittens are bundles of energy and needy, and you have to be their mom in a lot of ways. But the bond I have with her is incredible. Honestly, the easiest for me was a gentle adult dog and kitten. We're not allowed dogs though, and can't afford a second cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have always had just one cat - two of them were about 6 months old when they found me, so I might have missed the 'kitten crazies' for the most part. Feeby, my current cat, was 2ish when she came to live with me, so she definitely had already 'chilled out'.

I like having just one cat as I do think they bond better with their human(s) - or at least that has been my case. Coincidence or not, all of my cats are/were very well behaved and mild mannered - another thing I attribute to them being an 'only cat'. It was also much easier (and less expensive) to tend to a sick cat when there is only one cat in the home - especially as they get older when more serious illnesses seem to set in.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s always been 1 cat here…but, been mulling over your question a lot. So many of the photos posted here show two cats snoozing together, licking each other’s ears, playing romps. They look happy…makes me wonder if I’ve been depriving all my single cats of something, though they’ve never seemed…moody. My sense is it might depend on your cat’s disposition— I think, esp. if you got 2 YOUNG cats maybe from the same litter or clowder, they’d bond well. Of course it also depends on how much you want to spend on pet insurance, litter, food, et. al. The one time (neutered) Zorro met other cats was when I housed a friend’s 2 spayed females during a fire, and he was QUITE excited, pawing under the door, curious and sniffing. I guess you’ll never know ‘til you try! :)