Experienced, and yet new

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
Heyo, I go by the internet alias Rager. I'm 25 and a nonbinary cat parent to an older cat and two new kittens. I'm usually an anxious mess in new internet forums or communities so uhh apologies if I dont immediately reply or if I sound stilted and awkward at times! I've been an internet user for almost 2 decades so I know my way around things and I project my voice into my words. I tend to ramble or over explain things, so this intro miiight be long.

(i honestly type in all lowercase all the time, but i'll try to type properly while posting publicly. whoops.)

Anyways, I've been around cats most of my life and I know how to get every friendly cat I've encountered to allow me a scritch or two. My childhood cats were indoor-outdoor as a result of different cultures (reservation life) and because I was a minor, so I didnt have much control over keeping the door closed on cats. The rural indoor-outdoor life led to my current adult cat, Chansey, inflicting an injury on herself and getting her hind leg amputated. That was 7 years back, so she's now well adjusted in her current apartment life!

Recently though, because my current roommates (sister + her bf) decided to temporarily relocate across the country in our hometown, for various reasons that are tiring to retell, I figured I would pick up another cat. I've never interacted with a rescue because all my previous cats were strays, barn kittens, or abandoned by other family members, so I chose to speak to one or two rescues at a time. The first two rescues eventually never worked out, because the one didnt have any cat compatible with Chansey and the other had a cold virus sweep through all the adults (which were gathered in one place to allow room for feral kitten litters). The one cat I was looking at and holding out for, a pretty tortie named Jackie-O, actually passed away after battling the virus and succumbing to fatty liver disease due to not eating, and it was.... pretty devastating, even if I never had the chance to meet her.

Around that time tho, my family still in the area looked up kittens on Craigslist (I don't know how the community feels about pets on CL, pls let me know) and took me out to pick up one on a weekend, and the other a few days later. So now I have two new kittens, Korra and Mara, 2 and 3 months old, and I'm just a little overwhelmed! Chansey was the last kitten I raised myself and that was about 11 years ago, so I've completely forgotten how to discipline kittens and how endless their batteries are, woof.

Like I said before, I have a lot of anxiety about posting and stuff but I hope to at least provide a bit of advice and some cat pictures, haha.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
da6e059474e3893832a9e7ecf375e39e.gif
Rager and kitties, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
images.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Lovely kitties you've got here! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of them!

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man..dont have any anxiety on this site.
Biggest bunch of friendly people on this site you will ever meet.
And any requests for help you will get avalanched in helpful replies.
You already got cats so you belong here..lol

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: You're neither awkward or anxious but rather a responsible cat parent who wants to do the best they can for their two new kittens, Korra and Mara. BTW, they are absolutely adorable.:cutecat: Kittens will definitely keep you busy but there are lots of knowledgeable members on the site who can offer guidance and support. We hope to see more pics of the kittens as they grow up.:camera:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome, welcome, welcome to you, your cat, and those crazy kittens! They'll grow up, !settle down, and some tiny, utterly mad part of you will miss those antics!

You may type in all-lower case if it's more comfortable to you. We're not picky. As for Craig's List, we DEPLORE cats (or any other living thing) being listed there, and SOUNDLY APPLAUD any caring person who gets one of them! Goodness knows what you rescued those babies from, who could have them...Now they are safe, and have a wonderful home.

giphy.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the warm welcome guys 💜 I naturally have a lot of anxiety in me so it's just something I deal with, but with more time, I'll become more at ease!

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I'm wholly confident I took Korra from any potential bad home, since the owners weren't really vetting anyone, BUT made sure to ask for a rehoming fee. Mara didnt have a rehoming fee, but she was born pretty far out of the way for anyone to make the drive. Also, her entire litter was named and advertised with them so that the owners could weed out anyone looking for any ol kitten -- so if someone inquiring didnt express interest in a kitten by name, they would be promptly rejected. Her and her sibling all had names from Wreck-It-Ralph given by the little girl of the family :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Korra and Mara are pawsitively adorable. :catlove:

You still have Chansey, right? Any pics of her? Also, what does she think of the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama chansey's still around and kickin, of course! with how healthy she is at 11 years old, i'm probably stuck with her for at least another 5 years, haha. she's been pretty irritable with the babies, though she calmed down enough to walk by them without hissing/growling to get to her lunch. she's getting more aggravated now tho, maybe because the kittens are quickly growing in size? she smacks them down to the floor but only enough for them to get the message "dont touch me" and they're not terrified of her afterward, just a little cautious.

honestly. she's probably just cranky. her behavior is still the same with me and she's not avoidant so she's not flipping out or super stressed. just upset that she's not The Baby anymore >:V

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like Chansey's doing ok. As long as she isn't showing signs of stress, and that the kitten don't seem scared of her, I'd say all is well. :catlove: