Experience with Lax-eze?

Rain76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with Lax-eze? My 16 year old Siamese boy has had bouts of constipation for a couple of months now. He eats and pees normally, and acts like his normal sweet self. He will have a decent bm, then go two days without one, then have small hard stools, and the cycle starts again....very strange. I have tried Miralax, olive oil, a homeopathic colon rescue remedy, and now vet prescribed lactulose. I started it less than a week ago, but his poop is still tiny and hard....no bm in over 24 hrs. I saw the ad for Lax-eze, and their website makes it sound like a miracle product. Of course, they won’t put the bad reviews out there. Thanks for any help!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looking at the ingredients, that stuff is super overpriced. The psyllium husk is the ingredient in there that will help the most with constipation, and that’s exactly what the fiber supplement Metamucil is. Cats and dogs can take Metamucil as long as it’s the unflavored variety, and it costs half as much for twice the amount. If you’re going to give your cat psyllium husk I’d call your vet and ask about it though just for the purpose of dosing and such.

Plain canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling, that has sugar and spices added already) is also a popular constipation remedy for cats that a lot of vets will recommend. It’s high in fiber and has a lot of water. You can start with a small spoonful in his food and see if it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rain76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your message. i tried pumpkin mixed with his food, and he didn’t like it. I just saw where the Lax-eze had other herbs and what not that might make it not so hard on his stomach. Thankfully, he is tolerating the Lactulose from the vet, and he has had a small/medium hard stool last night and this morning. He hasn’t thrown up in the past 5 days, while being on the lactulose. I just hate how sticky it is, and he hates being cornered and having it squirted into his mouth. I hate having to do that to him. I’m hoping someone on here has had experience with this product, so I can determine whether or not it’s worth trying.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have any experience with the product you are asking about, but wanted to ask if the Lactulose can be added to food instead of you having to squirt it in his mouth? If he doesn't eat canned food, it might not work so well with dry food - but you could also consider getting him some of those lickable treats and mixing them with Lactulose as an alternative. I have used many of the lickable treats for Feeby's meds - Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Wholehearted, Vitakraft, and Inaba Churu are the ones I have used and she loves them all. You could even do the same with a bit of 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water.

I'd try this approach before moving on to another product, since it seems the Lactulose is working for him.