Experience with cats tipping their water bowls over

NInacatthingss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

I have a 3 year old cat named Arthur :) He came from a rescue centre when he was 7 months old.
He very often tries to tip his water bowl over, I have understood that it is often because cats like to see the flow of water, as it signifies a fresh and clean source, but also can be for attention seeking reasons.
I would like to do some research into this problem.
For this I would ask the following two questions, and I would love to hear about your experience!

Does your cat ever try to tip their bowl of water over/slid it across the floor?
Do you have any things to prevent this from happening?

Last edited by a moderator:

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who enjoys tipping water over. Another that dips her paws into the water.

When the water tipper was a kitten, I had one of those gravity water feeders but still not secure enough for him to hip over. I'd see the water bowl sideways and water all over the carpet. The little rascal.

To prevent, if using a bowl (I also have cat fountains), I use one of those non-tipping dog bowls. The popular silver ones. My assumption is those bowls are designed that way to prevent pets from tipping.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The non tipping dog bowls work great, you can chose from a bunch on Amazon. I recently also bought a silicone mat. Mostly to make clean up of stray food easier, but it also helps with water spillage. (Even if they can't tip it, they can still splash after all!)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some ideas:

There are bowls with suction cup bottoms or non slip bottoms that should keep the bowl from being tipped over.

Place the bowl (suction bottom or not) into a shallow tray (boot tray, upside down plastic storage container lid, shallow storage container, etc) to keep spills easy to clean up. Line the tray with an old towel or puppy pad if needed.

In addition to a bowl, use a pet water fountain. You may need to put the fountain into a tray to keep spills and splashes from making a mess.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I have a 3 year old cat named Arthur :) He came from a rescue centre when he was 7 months old.
He very often tries to tip his water bowl over, I have understood that it is often because cats like to see the flow of water, as it signifies a fresh and clean source, but also can be for attention seeking reasons.
For this I would ask the following two questions, and I would love to hear about your experience!

Does your cat ever try to tip their bowl of water over/slid it across the floor?
I solved the water spilling issue by installing a "Pet Water Fountain". The fountain runs 24/7 providing my boys with good tasting aerated water.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fountain and a non-tip bowl, one of the silver ones with a rubber ring around the base. Now if only I could stop knocking it and spilling the water!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fountain and a non-tip bowl, one of the silver ones with a rubber ring around the base. Now if only I could stop knocking it and spilling the water!
My boy "Jackpot " likes to wash his paws in the fountain. My DW goes bonkers yelling at Jackpot when she sees him cleaning his paws in the fountain.

Aileen666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

My cats knocked over every water bowl I ever used so I started putting them in the bathtub. Works perfectly !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NInacatthingss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hahah I also walk into the food bowls a little too often.. and then my cat looks at me with disgust for all the times Ive told him not to :')

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NInacatthingss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some ideas:

There are bowls with suction cup bottoms or non slip bottoms that should keep the bowl from being tipped over.

Place the bowl (suction bottom or not) into a shallow tray (boot tray, upside down plastic storage container lid, shallow storage container, etc) to keep spills easy to clean up. Line the tray with an old towel or puppy pad if needed.

In addition to a bowl, use a pet water fountain. You may need to put the fountain into a tray to keep spills and splashes from making a mess.
That is goood, thank you for the advice! I had heard that the fountains are useful but have never tried before

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a gravity waterer. Nobel kept slapping it across the floor and I passed it along. We use a large dog bowl, human cups with mats underneath and a long shallow Rubbermaid container and a Catit fountain. Basically every room in the house almost has a drinking area. We take hydration seriously 😹

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat became obsessed with this for awhile a few years ago - drove me nuts. I put one of those large pet silicone mats down with a lip, to catch the water. I also tried putting some tape on the bottom of the bowl.

The solution for me, was just to finally set her in the tub with a big bowl of water and let her play it out. An hour later, and much dipping and shaking of the paw, and she was done. Got it out of her system. Put a few ice cubes in there, apparently it adds to the mystique.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought silicone mats for the water bowl and food bowls. Lulu pulls the water bowl to the edge of the mat, tipping it along the way, but she doesn't pull her food bowls to the edge. She's always played with the water. But she's just naughty. lol

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiny does this! Not so much tipping it over as moving it around to see the water swish and splash out. :rolleyes: She also likes to dip her paws in the water, and put her toys in the water. :rolleyes: I honestly haven't tried to discourage her. I figure she is getting some enrichment out of it. I just keep the bowls on a mat or on a hard floor (not carpet) so that it is easy to clean up, and she has so many bowls that at least one of them is full enough to drink out of at any one time.