Experience living with cats and family with alzheimers disease

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure quite where to put this post, but here goes:

After failing to find other living arrangements cross country Aya and I have returned home to live with parents and my other brother who is disabled. My mother was recently diagnosed with alzheimers disease. Most of teh time she forgets things and who people are. She still recognizes me most of the the time. Recently some things happened that concern me and especially since I am the only adult in this house working outside the home.

Mostly she has been gushing over the kitty since we returned. But 2 nights ago in one of her let me say "Dementia rages" she tossed my cat in my closet with my doll collection came downstairs and told me it was for revenge. Then she threatened to burn down my room if I didn't get out of the house. 

On a milder note she has trouble accepting that I am in control of Aya's care.That she is not to feed her; worry about changing boxes or let her outside. Aya is still somewhat uncomfortable after the 2nd move in 2 mos. Mom has already threatened but not followed through on calling a vet to "get a second opinion". 

I have put up signs on the door saying Aya is not to go out and that I am the only one feeding her. I have also removed her name from Aya's Vet file and told them the situation and not to discuss Aya's care with her.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, this is a very difficult situation. Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease and the rages can be terrifying. The stress of living with this is unending. At what point do you consider nursing homes for the safety of everyone involved?

I don't really have any advice although I wish you could find another place to live. It does not sound like Aya is safe where she is. I hope someone else has some ideas. The only thing I can think of is to put a keyed lock on your bedroom door and keep Aya in there while you are at work.

Mostly I just wanted to offer moral support.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are in this difficult situation. Alzheimer's is so unpredictable and scary. I am worried for your cat's safety as well as yours. I think keeping your kitty locked in a safe place while you are away is an option . Have you talked to any mental health care providers about this? I would think that they would have some useful advice. You do need to consider your safety as well as your mother's and brother's sadly a home might be your best option. I wish you good luck.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to find a new place to live. However that is simply not a possibility without a stable job. I have temporary work thru Xmas. Right now I am applying for SNAP benefits.

The locked door is a good idea but aside from my bedroom the house is open with no doors. Also its my parents house and they would not allow it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You really are in a bind. I know this is far fetched but is there anyone you know who could provide Kitty Daycare while you are at work?

Is your Dad living with you, too? If so, does he understand that Aya could have been hurt and needs protecting? I know it is sometimes difficult for spouses of Alzheimer's patients to accept how serious it is, however. Is there a care giver who could put in a word for you? What about your mother's doctor?