Expanding My Knowledge

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I am looking for books, articles or online learning courses about breeding, genetics ect.

My mentor has been great, and I have done quite a lot of research on my own, but I would like to learn more!

Do you have a favorite book that helped you learn or thought was interesting?

Have you stumbled across articles online that you thought had invaluable content?

Have you taken courses online or otherwise that helped you expand your knowledge?

I would love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m not a breeder myself, but I learned a lot in general from Robinson’s Genetics For Cat Breeders. Here on TCS, there’s a lot of great Q & A on the expert forum with Dr. Lyons from back in 2014: Lyons – On Cat Genetics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amazing thank you!

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ameezers! There is a book I find really helpful when it comes to breeding (it doesn't have anything about showing or genetics but is more so about the care of an expectant queen, the breeding process, caring for kittens and stuff like that) It is called The Complete Book of Cat Breeding by Dan Rice you can buy it here: .
You can also apply for breeding mentorship at CFA or TICE if you want a mentor (it is free :)) There are also articles on thecatsite that you can read. These are all from Thecatsite members:
About Breeding Cats
Cat Registries
How Much Does It Really Cost To Breed Cats?
Cat Pregnancy
Genetic Testing For Your Cat - Interview With Professor Leslie Lyons, Part 2
Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know
How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?
Breeding is very expensive and that is something you really might want to consider. You also might want to consider showing if you aren't already. There is also genetic testing you have to do depending on what breed you are breeding. You might want to ask your self if you have the time for breeding (it is very time consuming). I think the best option for you right now is to get a breeding mentor who can and will teach you everything you need to know. Let me know if there is anything else you want!!! :p

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to books and online resources, I've learned a lot from other breeders. Have you tried going to shows, exhibiting your cats and meeting other people who work with your breed? Also, most breeds have breed clubs that you can join.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing from looking at your avatar that your cats are moderate type (old style) Siamese? Are they registered as Siamese (in CFA and/or TICA) or Thai (TICA)?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One that I found interesting is "The Book of the Cat". It is not really specific to breeding but has a lot of good information in it. It is out of print so you need to check on used book sites.

One that I feel is invaluable is put out by Royal Canin. "Practical Guide to Cat Breeding". While I don't necessarily agree with everything in it, it is helpful. One that isn't going to help you since you don't breed Persians but has encouraged me is "The Proper Care of Silver and Golden Persians " by Dee J Single. It is out of print but I found mine on Amazon. For those who might be interested it can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ilver+and+Golden+Persians&tag=&tag=thecatsite

Another you may want to consider adding to your library is the Merck Veterinary Manual. This is the one I have:

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is awesome thank you so much guys!

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone! All books except the Royal Canin (I couldn't find a copy) and Persian book are currently being shipped to me :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon shows it is still for sale. HMMMM, strange. You could contact Royal Canin directly, they may be able to help. I know that is a long shot, but worth a try.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I contacted Royal Canin already and asked where I could get it, I will check Amazon again though

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Found it on amazon with two day shipping... not really sure what I was doing before that i couldn't find it lol

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am currently reading Roy Robinson's book on genetics for cat breeders.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I have had to go back and re-read things to get a better grasp on what it is saying and always have Google ready to look up pictures (had no idea the difference between "blotched tabby" and "mackerel tabby but now I do!).

Can any one suggest more books for learning about genetics? Possibly with pictures lol

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What specifically would you like to know more about? Feel free to ask specific questions or bring up topics, and others here can probably suggest references or explain things.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's awesome thank you!

I hope I don't sound stupid but:

The "C" for full color falls on the same locus as Siamese and Burmese, so is "full color" in reference to the intensity of the coat color throughout? Meaning that unlike Siamese and Burmese whom are darkest at the points and lighter on the body, a full color cat would have the same intensity of coat throughout their body?

Also when people talk about orange being sex linked, that is only with regards to the tortie pattern is that correct?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About orange (sex-linked red): We say it's sex-linked because this gene is located on the X chromosome. A male cat has only one X chromosome, so he is either red or non-red. A female has two X chromosomes, so she can be red (both X chromosomes have the red gene), non-red (neither X chromosome has the red gene) or tortie (one X has the red gene and one doesn't). Males cannot pass a sex-linked gene to their sons, but they pass it to all of their daughters.

About C for full color: yes, this means the cat is not pointed.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay that makes sense thank you