Excuses on why you don't want someone at your house

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
OK, let's hear some of the creative excuses you have either given or gotten when you don't want someone to come to your house.

We were supposed to go to someone's house yesterday, but instead they came here because their "dryer was broken". :dk:

I think I would have appreciated a plain "We don't want you coming here" instead. :lol3:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Their dryer was broken?? That's not even an excuse!  Did they think you were going to get sponaneously saturated??

I've used "I've just had the carpets cleaned and they're still a bit damp" (which they were).

I would consider using "The cats need their space at the moment"

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 We were supposed to go to someone's house yesterday, but instead they came here because their "dryer was broken".

I'll give you my take on that?!.  

A. Their house was a mess and they couldn't be bothered to clean

B. They didn't want their house messed up

C. Your a better cook

I've never really gave any excuses, apart from a party l was supposed to be at but i was still tired after being out two nights previous. I told the truth though

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the excuse that my apartment is not tidy or clean (true)

And I'm mostly just honest and tell people that I'm really not physically up to entertaining.

I go to my brother's house for dinner. But I take them out to a nice restaurant in return.  I haven't entertained for a dinner party in my home for probably 10 or 11 years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Don't get "the dryer was broken"!!! Unless they had wet clothes strewn about? 

It's rare that we don't let somebody come here, but it does happen.  I get really nasty headaches and there is no medication anymore that will help with them. If we've invited somebody in and I wake up that morning with a headache, I simply call and say, "I can't do it tonight, I'm sorry. I have a bad headache. Can we re-schedule?" My friends know that I get them and that there's really nothing I can do once one hits. Those things can last for days sometimes.

I admit that I am uneasy having people come to the house when I don't know them that well. Our house isn't perfect by any stretch; it's your basic house. It's clean (most of the time), but it's dated. And sure, people SAY they're coming to see you. But I've actually had people come in to visit, maybe have dinner here, and then go to other people and complain about the house. "Oh, you should see her drapes! Such heavy drapes! Tacky!" And I'm completely serious about that; I actually saw that on a forum one time, from somebody I thought was a good friend.They were on their way to visit other people and stopped in along the way. A few weeks later, I saw the post. Since then, I'm leery. 

People we know well are welcome here at any time. It's nothing for some friends of ours to call us up and say, "Hey, we're coming down tonight to play cards. Wanna grab pizza for dinner?" Or something like that. And that's fine. They pretty much take us as we are.

Mani, I really like the "I'm sorry, but the cats need their space at the moment." That's a good one! 

Last edited:

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit that I am uneasy having people come to the house when I don't know them that well. Our house isn't perfect by any stretch; it's your basic house. It's clean (most of the time), but it's dated. And sure, people SAY they're coming to see you. But I've actually had people come in to visit, maybe have dinner here, and then go to other people and complain about the house. "Oh, you should see her drapes! Such heavy drapes! Tacky!" And I'm completely serious about that; I actually saw that on a forum one time, from somebody I thought was a good friend.They were on their way to visit other people and stopped in along the way. A few weeks later, I saw the post. Since then, I'm leery. 
That is just awful! I tell people I am there to see them and not their house when they give me heads up on mess or if their place is dated...but I actually mean it. I don't judge people based on how modern their homes are or if its untidy. Mind you, I may get uneasy if its downright filthy but even then, I'd not be rude about it. That really bothers me that someone would do that to you. As if having a dated house defines who you are. 

As for me, I just tell people "the place is a mess" or "I don't feel like company today". 

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the time I just say, "Sorry this is not a good time for a visit. Can we do it later."

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one excuse we gave was true because it was right after Cindy got sick and we thought it would be better for her not to have people in the house.  We don't entertain often, and I really really hate people coming in.  My house is also "dated." The carpet is old and no amount of cleaning will make it look nice (and I can't afford a new one).  There are stains on the white kitchen floor that no amount of scubbing will get off.  And most of the time I'm just too dang tired to do any "deep" cleaning - and DH is too lazy - so while the house is not dirty, per se, getting it to my comfort level for inviting people in takes me day or two.  Plus, I just really don't like people invading my space - or me invading theirs. I'd much rather meet them somewhere neutral like a restaurant.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam I may know who you're talking about, could it be the same person who was a cleaning fanatic??  I could be wrong tho.  Any way I just have to say your home was very clean when I spent time there and with 6 kitties at the time, there was no litter box smell.  Till this day I don't know how you do that.  I only have one cat and one litter box and yet when someone comes over I ask "do you smell anything",  I'm always paranoid about that and so far no one has said they smell anything.

I love in a mobile home and it's as clean as I can make it but if people want to call me trailer trash, that's ok with me...I'm happy here and this place is far from trash.  There are people that will find something wrong with everything.

Last edited:

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one excuse we gave was true because it was right after Cindy got sick and we thought it would be better for her not to have people in the house.  We don't entertain often, and I really really hate people coming in.  My house is also "dated." The carpet is old and no amount of cleaning will make it look nice (and I can't afford a new one).  There are stains on the white kitchen floor that no amount of scubbing will get off.  And most of the time I'm just too dang tired to do any "deep" cleaning - and DH is too lazy - so while the house is not dirty, per se, getting it to my comfort level for inviting people in takes me day or two.  Plus, I just really don't like people invading my space - or me invading theirs. I'd much rather meet them somewhere neutral like a restaurant.
This is me to a tee. I can't STAND having people in our house. It actually makes me feel claustrophobic, like there's too many people and someone's gotta go. It's not that my house is dirty, but it's cluttered and with 4 dogs, 6 cats and a husband, cleaning seems to be a losing battle at times. Even when it's ready for company it never fails that I find the one cobweb that I either missed or just developed overnight, so I give up.

And, you want to talk about dated? We still have metal cabinets in our kitchen and the ugly green flooring is from the 60's and is patched with duct tape. We improve here and there when we have the extra money, but it's definitely not going to be in Homes & Garden anytime soon. 

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless your friends brought their wet clothes along and asked to use your laundry, the "broken dryer" excuse just doesn't fly. 

I don't usually like drop-in guests and have no problem with the word "no."  I'll reschedule explaining that "this is not a good time but are you free to come over on Saturday?" or whatever. 

I remember reading in Miss Manners to never apologize for the state of your home to unexpected guests, and I think that's a good idea. You don't owe anyone an apology and besides, it makes the guests feel uncomfortable. If I know you are coming, the house will be clean but if you drop in you might have to step over piles of sorted laundry or whatever I'm working on. 

We like to entertain, some years we do it much more than others. But if we feel icky about someone, we simply don't invite them. We invite friends and their friends. (Sometimes it's business so they aren't all friends, but that's kind of different.) If somebody doesn't like our decor, I don't think we care very much. If anybody has a problem with our hospitality, they don't have to come back.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Pam I may know who you're talking about, could it be the same person who was a cleaning fanatic??  I could be wrong tho.  Any way I just have to say your home was very clean when I spent time there and with 6 kitties at the time, there was no litter box smell.  Till this day I don't know how you do that.  I only have one cat and one litter box and yet when someone comes over I ask "do you smell anything",  I'm always paranoid about that and so far no one has said they smell anything.

I love in a mobile home and it's as clean as I can make it but if people want to call me trailer trash, that's ok with me...I'm happy here and this place is far from trash.  There are people that will find something wrong with everything.
Good grief, Carol, you are NOT trailer trash! You know that and so do I! And when Rick and I were at your house, we didn't smell a thing either. As for our house, well, thank you. I try to keep it not smelling like cat pee....it's my biggest fear. When we brought Tabby in and then Muffin, we had some minor issues, but adding another litter box took care of that. (At least I hope so.)

And yeah, it's that person. 

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
p.s Next time you have someone over remember that most people are more comfortable in a house that is not super-perfect and super-clean. 

I used to know someone whose house was perfect and spotless and it was pretty terrifying to stay there. If I got a drink of water in the kitchen, the glass was immediately washed, dried, and put away. (I kept a bottle in my room after that.) I felt guilty leaving water spots on the shower, and where to put the damp towel becomes an all-important question (shouldn't leave it on the floor, there's no empty towel rack, the hamper seems to be for dry clothes, should I carry it down to the laundry, I'd better ask...). Even using the waste baskets seemed like an imposition since they were immediately emptied. Perfectly clean isn't that great for relaxing and having a good time.

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a clean house and am a bit on the OCD side of things...

That being said, I don't strive for perfection anymore,, because it is not a reality. Spotless is not an option anymore, but it is clean and sanitary.

We entertain alot and our friends know they are welcome to come over whenever they want. One friend of ours even has a key to our house :)

You are welcome to stop by at anytime. I might be in the middle of something that I can't stop and entertain you, but I will try to wrap it up as quick as possible. A lot of times people just "hang out" in our house, and we are cool with that. They will come over, get a drink- watch TV- surf the web, etc...... It's kind of an open door policy with us.

However, on occasion someone will show up and we just tell them we don't feel like company tonight.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to see there are a LOT of people out there that would just as soon not have company! I keep a clean house, but I've always noticed NOBODY wants to come over right when you're done cleaning, they wait until it looks like a bomb went off! I've had a lot of people say I'm going to be a crazy cat lady, but you know what?, a lot of time I'd rather visit with a cat then some people.Also most of you must know nicer people then me, because any time I try to say " Now is not a good time for me to have company" they ALWAYS ask "why?", and I can't think quick enough!  

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With more elaboration I could accept a broken dryer as a valid excuse.  For example, it could have caught fire.  I've heard of it happening.  They could have been having a repair man coming by the house.  They could have to run to the laundromat to dry their clothes for the next morning.  However, stating as such would probably go a lot farther than "the dryer broke!"

I don't often have the issue of people deciding to show up at my apartment with little notice.  If it's a "hey, can I swing by and pick this up?" it doesn't bother me.  If someone wants to hang around and I don't want them to/ don't want to clean up, then I'll usually say that I don't feel like doing anything tonight, or that I am busy with school work or something.  Most people won't press the issue.  Often times having people come by gives me a reason to tidy things up.  Along those lines though, with few exceptions I get irritated if people show up earlier than they said they will.  If you say you're coming at 7 and you show up at 6.45 I don't mind.  If you say you're coming between 5 and 7, I don't mind if you come at 4.45.  If you're coming from out of town and don't really have a designated time, that's fine.  If you say you're coming at 7 and show up before 6.30, then I will likely be cleaning the litter box, folding clothes, or doing some other task.  I'll probably be aggravated, as I like my living space to have a certain amount of presentability.  I'll make it spotless for my parents, decent for most friends, and not gross for some folks.  Either way, I would like to have an opportunity to get rid of the clothes from in front of the laundry room, vacuum if necessary, clean the litter boxes, clear school books from the couch, and pick up the pajamas off the floor!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have to make excuses, I live in a tiny trailer, there is enough seating for myself and my hubby.

Also, since moving the trailer here, we have been over-run by roaches, gross and embarassing.

We should be in a mobile home by Summer's end though, bye bye bugs and tiny trailer.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, let's hear some of the creative excuses you have either given or gotten when you don't want someone to come to your house.

We were supposed to go to someone's house yesterday, but instead they came here because their "dryer was broken". :dk:

I think I would have appreciated a plain "We don't want you coming here" instead. :lol3:
I would have said in response to that... " Well, you can't come here either, my washer is broke." :crackup:

I have many, many people, family/friends, who want to come and see the new house. ARGH! I do keep a clean house almost all the time but my cats HATE company and so do I. :anon: :paranoid: But on the flip side, I want to show off the new house because it is so cool. A California Dune Ranch in the Midwest!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Excuses 101:

1. I am sick
2. Perla is unwell and can't get stressed.
3. No power.
4. Gas leak.
5. Septic backing up. :eek:
6. No heat/ No Air - on the fritz.
7. Stove/oven crashed. (my SIL used that one to get out of Christmas dinner last year)
8. Storms coming and have to sit with Henry (dog) - anxiety disorder.
9. Have to work :lol:
10.Larry had a last minute business trip. :flail:

and if someone comes over unannounced...... :dash: and hide in the closet till they are gone. :crackup:

Last edited: