Excessive Yowling, Bullying of Resident Cat and Constantly Hungry. Why?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm currently fostering a stray cat for nearly a month.
He has asthma hence he'll need to stay indoor till he find an adopter, he needs inhaler daily. He's neutered btw. No thyroid, no diabetes and in perfect pink health.

Anyway, he's constantly bullying my resident female timid cat. As I'm staying in a one bedroom small apartment, there's no way to do slow introduction and there's no way to give him a whole room for him to isolate in by himself. It's causing my resident cat stress. It's getting better day by day, but there are days when he'll smack her randomly when she's sleeping. Whenever she sees him, she'll panic and ran away. Is there a way to let them get along? I tried feeding them side by side, but the foster cat will side eye my resident cat and doesn't wanna eat unless he's not facing her.

Also, he keeps yowling. And I notice he'll yowl more if he wants food. The weird thing is... He can eat ALOT. For example, after giving him one huge bowl of freeze dried and kibbles, in last time 3 hours, he'll yowl loudly for food again. And if I don't give it to him, he'll keep yowling and honestly it's affecting my mentally and emotionally. I know I shouldn't give in to his demand but it's hard.. Loud noises really makes me anxious. I suspect he have thyroid or diabetes as he's constantly hungry, brought him to the vet and nope, he's healthy except for asthma. No thyroid, no nothing.

Is there a reason why a healthy cat to eat so much and gets hungry so fast? Isn't cat's stomach the size of a ping-pong ball? I'm just curious as to how his stomach can filled with so much food.

Is there any idea on how can we make the yowling/meowing decrease? Any idea will helps 😔 I think it'll be hard to find an adopter for cats with asthma/illness. It'll most probably be me ended up adopting him, therefore I'll need to find a way to let him get along with my cat. Thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello,
It sounds like you might need to give your resident cat separate time away from the foster daily.
Did you do do a proper introduction?

Previous street cats can be very food insecure. They didn't know how or where their next food would come from. I've found some food puzzles for slowing down eating helpful.

Was he dewormed? Some people are having issues with cats still having worms after multiple rounds of dewormer.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PS. I did also have to switch my previous street cat to appetite control dry food. It was the only thing that finally helped him to feel full and not like he needed to eat everything in sight.

Its important he doesnt gain too much weight (my cat) so it was helpful to stop the weight gain.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I strongly suggest that you tell the shelter, or whomever you are fostering for, that you cannot keep him in your home any longer. You really don't have the proper set up to accommodate fostering, and both cats sound as if they are stressed.

You say he doesn't have any aliments other than the asthma, but was he ever checked for, as mentioned above, worms? Both of those behaviors could also be signs of stress as well.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I strongly suggest that you tell the shelter, or whomever you are fostering for, that you cannot keep him in your home any longer. You really don't have the proper set up to accommodate fostering, and both cats sound as if they are stressed.

You say he doesn't have any aliments other than the asthma, but was he ever checked for, as mentioned above, worms? Both of those behaviors could also be signs of stress as well.
I'm an individual rescuer. He's not under any shelter or etc. He's one of the stray cat that I'm feeding since four years ago. And yes, he's deworm. As my current apartment will be tear down next year (singapore enbloc system), I'm looking for forever home for the cats I'm feeding. I've manged to rehomed two stray cats as of now. I'm currently looking for a home for this cat as he needs daily inhaler.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess you using the word 'fostering' made it seem more of a formal process than you just taking care of a stray. If you have a network of others who do what you do, you might at least reach out to them to see if one can take over what you have started. Not being able to separate them is going to make it next to impossible to try to correct the situation.

The only other thing I could offer would be to set up a DIY blockade in your main room to facilitate separation. These can be made from shelving bought at many of the home improvement/hardware stores. It is essentially wire shelfs set on their side and tied together with zip ties to make an accordion type door that can fit across any size room, and easily opened/shut by folding back one of the sections. If need be, the bottom portion of the blockade can be covered with a blanket to block the view. Most of these shelves come in different lengths so that when you set them on their side, they can be as tall as you think you need to keep either of the cats jumping over them. I am including a pic of one so you can visualize what one would look like. If this type of shelving isn't available to you, there are other types of material that might work as well. It might take you visiting a home improvement/hardware store and asking for some assistance on what might be another option.
Shelving blockade.png

Last edited:

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess you using the word 'fostering' made it seem more of a formal process than you just taking care of a stray. If you have a network of others who do what you do, you might at least reach out to them to see if one can take over what you have started. Not being able to separate them is going to make it next to impossible to try to correct the situation.

The only other thing I could offer would be to set up a DIY blockade in your main room to facilitate separation. These can be made from shelving bought at many of the home improvement/hardware stores. It is essentially wire shelfs set on their side and tied together with zip ties to make an accordion type door that can fit across any size room, and easily opened/shut by folding back one of the sections. If need be, the bottom portion of the blockade can be covered with a blanket to block the view. Most of these shelves come in different lengths so that when you set them on their side, they can be as tall as you think you need to keep either of the cats jumping over them. I am including a pic of one so you can visualize what one would look like. If this type of shelving isn't available to you, there are other types of material that might work as well. It might take you visiting a home improvement/hardware store and asking for some assistance on what might be another option.
View attachment 477012
Thanks for the advice 😊 I'll give it a try with that.
And sorry for the confusion with the word fostering. Because that's what Singaporean use when we bring home a stray cat to take care of them while looking for a forever home.

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you secure the edges to the walls? Would the cats be able to push against it? This looks like an economical and convenient set-up for small apartments and I'd love to learn how to incorporate it.
This question was meant for FeebysOwner FeebysOwner
Sorry can't seem to quote the reply!

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you secure the edges to the walls? Would the cats be able to push against it? This looks like an economical and convenient set-up for small apartments and I'd love to learn how to incorporate it.

View attachment 477012

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm an individual rescuer. He's not under any shelter or etc. He's one of the stray cat that I'm feeding since four years ago. And yes, he's deworm. As my current apartment will be tear down next year (singapore enbloc system), I'm looking for forever home for the cats I'm feeding. I've manged to rehomed two stray cats as of now. I'm currently looking for a home for this cat as he needs daily inhaler.
I'm Singaporean and whenever I hear about enblocs, all I can think of is the poor community cats and their caregivers living there D: Good on you for wanting to adopt this stray. I have adopted 2 community cats myself. Sadly they never got along even after 5 years, but thankfully they can co-exist peacefully. I had the luxury of using the toilet to separate them. Is that a possible option for you? If not, I hope the DIY idea works for you.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi-nice of you to have gotten this stray cat medical attention and bringing him into your home while trying to find him a forever home- unfortunately it does not sound like you can accommodate fostering any animals as its extremely stressful for your resident cat and apparently the foster cat as well ( all the yowling)

But it doesn't mean you cannot set up your present living quarters to accommodate fostering- even though I have several rooms I prefer containing new arrivals in an enclosure- they quickly relax as they become familiar and typically after 30 days establish their enclosure as their own territory without having to deal with any issues over turf from or with residents cats

You can purchase portable cat cages in various affordable sizes online that are quick and easy to assemble to begin proper intros after the territory is estahlished- meanwhile tye residents cat adjusts to the present of a new kitty and its an easy transition from outdoor to indoor that ensures everyone's safety

I'll find you some photos- as for the wire racks being secured to the walls you can use simple hook and eye screws with some zip ties

Robot or human?

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Some disagree but I usually free feed transitioned ferals &strays with kibble besides their wet feedings- they quickly discover food is always available and they needn't gorge themselves.... at first they may stuff themselves but it doesn't last long at all before they just pick and graze

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some disagree but I usually free feed transitioned ferals &strays with kibble besides their wet feedings- they quickly discover food is always available and they needn't gorge themselves.... at first they may stuff themselves but it doesn't last long at all before they just pick and graze
I do the same. Basically free feeding wet food and putting kibbles in various puzzles. I'd rather them have felt-safety and food security after all they've been through and get a bit chubby. Its easy to get a younger cat to loose weight afterwards.

Ghostie got a bit up there, but it's coming back down now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some people use Command strips to try to avoid putting holes in the walls. Others who know how to repair a hole in the wall when it is time to remove the blockade will use hook type fixtures that can be nailed or screwed into the wall. When you go to purchase the shelving, take a look at the store's hardware options to see one that would work best for you. Closure fixtures should probably be placed in a couple of locations, one close to the floor level, to help with keeping cats from being able to push the blockade open.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that cat needs a catio & your resident cat needs your bedroom …. Maybe for half the day, every day. Either way I would split them up for a week.

Your foster cat needs outside time (harness or better yet a catio.) If you can’t give him that I would talk to the group you are fostering for and see if they can set him up in a better home.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm Singaporean and whenever I hear about enblocs, all I can think of is the poor community cats and their caregivers living there D: Good on you for wanting to adopt this stray. I have adopted 2 community cats myself. Sadly they never got along even after 5 years, but thankfully they can co-exist peacefully. I had the luxury of using the toilet to separate them. Is that a possible option for you? If not, I hope the DIY idea works for you.
Hi! Omg nice to meet a fellow singaporean here. Anyway, it has been a month plus since I keep that stray cat indoor and it's getting better. The yowling lessen and he seems more comfortable indoor now. The bullying lessen as well.

I recently just brought him to Atlas for microchipping, health checkup and dental cleaning.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that cat needs a catio & your resident cat needs your bedroom …. Maybe for half the day, every day. Either way I would split them up for a week.

Your foster cat needs outside time (harness or better yet a catio.) If you can’t give him that I would talk to the group you are fostering for and see if they can set him up in a better home.
We do bring him out for outside time with harness and leash under our supervision. Unable to do a catio as I lives in an apartment. Thankfully they're getting better with co-living with each other 🥹😊 thanks for your ideas.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi-nice of you to have gotten this stray cat medical attention and bringing him into your home while trying to find him a forever home- unfortunately it does not sound like you can accommodate fostering any animals as its extremely stressful for your resident cat and apparently the foster cat as well ( all the yowling)

But it doesn't mean you cannot set up your present living quarters to accommodate fostering- even though I have several rooms I prefer containing new arrivals in an enclosure- they quickly relax as they become familiar and typically after 30 days establish their enclosure as their own territory without having to deal with any issues over turf from or with residents cats

You can purchase portable cat cages in various affordable sizes online that are quick and easy to assemble to begin proper intros after the territory is estahlished- meanwhile tye residents cat adjusts to the present of a new kitty and its an easy transition from outdoor to indoor that ensures everyone's safety

I'll find you some photos- as for the wire racks being secured to the walls you can use simple hook and eye screws with some zip ties

Robot or human?
Hi, I do have a two tier portable cat cage. Somehow my resident cat and this cat that I took in seems to be able to co-live peacefully now. They just mind their own things and sometimes, they'll even lay down next to each other. The yowling lessen to near zero yowling for the stray that I took in too. Thankfully 🥹

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Omg nice to meet a fellow singaporean here. Anyway, it has been a month plus since I keep that stray cat indoor and it's getting better. The yowling lessen and he seems more comfortable indoor now. The bullying lessen as well.

I recently just brought him to Atlas for microchipping, health checkup and dental cleaning.
Congrats! That sounds great and I'm so happy that another stray is off the streets! It's also amazing that you could bring your cat out on a leash and harness! I tried it with mine and she panicked when a jogger ran past her and Houdini-ed her way out of the harness. I nearly lost her. Do always be vigilant even if it's worked for you so far. I've already heard/seen a number of horror stories of cats escaping from their leash in Singapore. There's probably something about the densely populated air in SG that makes them nervous lol

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats! That sounds great and I'm so happy that another stray is off the streets! It's also amazing that you could bring your cat out on a leash and harness! I tried it with mine and she panicked when a jogger ran past her and Houdini-ed her way out of the harness. I nearly lost her. Do always be vigilant even if it's worked for you so far. I've already heard/seen a number of horror stories of cats escaping from their leash in Singapore. There's probably something about the densely populated air in SG that makes them nervous lol
This ex-stray cat escaped from his harness too, on last Sunday :'( A motorbike zoomed past us, he panicked in the uncovered trolley, jumped out of the trolley, wiggled out from the harness and zoomed off. He ran so fast that we couldn't catch up. But luckily, I found him at level three of our block, with broken toenails. I think he panicked and injured himself while he Lee Xiao Long out of the harness. I got a scare of my life. I think I wouldn't dare to bring him out with just leash and harness + uncovered carrier anymore. A closed secured carrier is much more safer 🥲
I just bought a Samsung Smart Tag 2 and attached it to the ex-stray cat's collar for in case he door dash. 🥹

My resident cat once got lost too when my dad bought her out for her a walk with just harness and leash. She's very very timid. And accordingly to my dad, the moment he put her down onto the floor at the void deck beside my block, she wiggled out from the harness and ran off. But it's sibei lucky that I managed to find her hiding under the nearby bushes.

It's indeed a horror to all pet owners... I think we both have PTSD from bringing our cats out liao 😂

Anyway, can I also check if your cat have any dental issues like gingivitis since young or constant flare up of eyes squinting + watery turn yellowish discharge? 🥺🥺 My resident cat have inflamed gums (gingivitis) since she was six months old till now. Went for dental cleaning and extraction, it got better but the inflamed gums returns one week after. We brush her teeth daily but still like that, sigh. She's also always having flare up of eye squinting, followed by watery discharge that turns to yellow discharge after a few days. Seen her GP vet multiple times leh but no medication except for saline water rinising and duratears drop and let it get better by itself. Tested for herpes but she doesn't have it. Makes me wonder could it be due to the air quality in SG that's causing eye itchiness or something else 😂

She once had a blocked tear duct but it got cleared up by anti inflammatory medication and an antibiotics eye drop. Her GP vet referred her to see the only eye specialist vet in SG but just the consultation fee is already at $350, which is a little too expensive for just consult.