Excessive Shedding

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar sheds more than any cat I have ever seen. You can't hold him for any amount of time without being completely covered in cat hair. He rubs up against you, you have to change your pants. He is a typical domestic short hair. He is mostly indoor, but comes outside with me a couple of times a week. I brush him once a week. I am thinking I will start brushing him more, since he doesn't mind it. I saw this product Ark Naturals Don't Shed On Me! Dog & Cat Spray, 8-oz bottle .was wondering if anyone has expeeexper with it. I've tried bathing him, but it's traumatic for both of us lol. Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply - this product might help his skin feel better, but it sounds to me as though your boy needs daily brushing.
A furminator or a zoomgroom might help. Good luck :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Daily brushing will help a lot. Bathing not so much. Many cats will drop fur, shed like crazy when stressed, so the bathing could actually make it worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a comb to use in addition to his brush. Also I found some wipes that are supposed to prevent shedding. Our new routine is every night before bed we comb and then brush then wipe. Oscar loves being brushed and combed so he loves his new bedtime routine. I don’t think the wipes make a difference, but they have made his fur softer. On Friday my hiking buddy was holding him before our hike and she mentioned that that was the first time she held Oscar and wasn’t immediately covered in cat hair! So we are getting somewhere. He still sheds a ridiculous amount. But I think it might finally be getting under control!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK is a short hair who has always been a shedder. these days, i use a flea comb on him gently to remove all the loose hair, and our clothes have never looked more cat hair-free.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you, and Oscar!!
I noticed Earthbath hypoallergenic grooming wipes look like safe ones, just as a mention, for other readers and lurkers as well. I also saw Pampers Aqua Pure wipes that might be safer than some of the others.

Last edited: