Excessive licking

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
My 3 yr old Oriental Shorthair named Grembly has suddenly developed an odd habit. Onset was about 2 days ago. Grem has been randomly licking the tip of her tail, saturating it in her sticky saliva. I of course find out abt it when I go to pet her & get a handful of spit. No hair has fallen out yet, Grem will allow me to touch her tail & manipulate it enough to make me think it’s not broken. I’m trying to get her in with the vet but they’re booked for 2 months. Any ideas what to do in the meantime? Much appreciated.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would run a flea comb over the cat to check for fleas. Can also flea comb the tip of the tail looking for any scales or abnormalities.

Vet is a good idea. That is crazy that it takes 2 months to get an appointment.

MumtoFluffyMiloandPearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat once started same thing under her chin constant scratching and licking and within two days she had made a wound there and was totally bald from there took her to vet and turned out it was a fungal infection. Got her on a antifungal cream and luckily within a week it started healing. If your cat isn't making that area of her tail bald or making a wound then maybe it isn't much to worry about. You can however rinse his tail with a medicated cat shampoo for soothing affect.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet is a good idea. That is crazy that it takes 2 months to get an appointment.

Blame it on the pandemic and a shortage of veterinary staff and burned out staff: Huge strain on veterinary clinics post-pandemic

Hello all,
My 3 yr old Oriental Shorthair named Grembly has suddenly developed an odd habit. Onset was about 2 days ago. Grem has been randomly licking the tip of her tail, saturating it in her sticky saliva. I of course find out abt it when I go to pet her & get a handful of spit. No hair has fallen out yet, Grem will allow me to touch her tail & manipulate it enough to make me think it’s not broken. I’m trying to get her in with the vet but they’re booked for 2 months. Any ideas what to do in the meantime? Much appreciated.

Can you call your vet for advice? For something minor as this, a vet can easily give you some suggestions over the phone or by email.

Does the tip of the tail look ok? No balding, red skin, etc? Could your cat have gotten something on the tail and is just trying to clean it off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blame it on the pandemic and a shortage of veterinary staff and burned out staff: Huge strain on veterinary clinics post-pandemic

Can you call your vet for advice? For something minor as this, a vet can easily give you some suggestions over the phone or by email.

Does the tip of the tail look ok? No balding, red skin, etc? Could your cat have gotten something on the tail and is just trying to clean it off?
The tail looks totally fine. Nothing abnormal that I can see. No balding (yet) or red skin. I suppose she could’ve gotten some thing on the tail but this is a LONG time cleaning it off.