Excessive licking! bites on body NOT FLEAS/ NOR FOOD

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps my cat has military dermatitis? Have tried everything. no help. NOT FOOD... Even if I pet him he'll start licking excessively and wag his tale. I call his name its like he does not hear me as he gets so into his licking.. Any ideas.. Did diet/ did food allergy tests.. This all started 3 years ago.. He had a flea bite, had anxiety as I was moving. Vet gave prednisone/ rabies shot he has never been the same since.. Needs constant affection.. But after excessive licking he does sleep.... I thought hypertheisa as he had a seizure it seemed from licking. He just could not stop licking got out of control.. Was on prozac then off..I just do not know what else to do.. Do not think hypesthesia. Vet not sure either.... Anybody else have a cat like this..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi-so, he became allergic/had a reaction to that flea bite, or the rabies vaccine? Flea allergies happen in cats. I don't know of remedies, you might talk more with your vet or a different vet, but by chance, whichever the actual cause is, does bathing help?
Needs constant affection.
Try a purr toy or a heartbeat toy, and cat music.

Last edited:

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gray over grooms a lot. Sometimes his back legs are nearly bald. I’ve tried everything and more and the vet thinks it’s stress related as we have a high cat population where we live.
I’ve tried the Feliway plug ins, herbal remedies and lots of diff meds.
He kind of has fazes with it and atm we’re good.
It may just be something you have to live with and that’s he’s a sensitive cat. This is what the vet told us to accept and it’s not life threatening, more behavioural.
Best of luck and give him snuggles from us 😽❤

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try Spotify, they have a collection of harp music called Cat In My Arms :)

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 always suggests free radio;
"My favorite radio station, KUSC.org, streams worldwide. Classical. No ads. A real life-and-sanity-saver at all times, with several special new programs for these times."

Cat music, including classical harp music, can be surprisingly effective in helping cats to relax. Research has proven results :)

Last edited:

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Spotify, they have a collection of harp music called Cat In My Arms :)

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 always suggests free radio;
"My favorite radio station, KUSC.org, streams worldwide. Classical. No ads. A real life-and-sanity-saver at all times, with several special new programs for these times."

Cat music, including classical harp music, can be surprisingly effective in helping cats to relax. Research has proven results :)
I never thought of this - how wonderful! I will defo try this with Grey too ❤❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gray over grooms a lot. Sometimes his back legs are nearly bald. I’ve tried everything and more and the vet thinks it’s stress related as we have a high cat population where we live.
I’ve tried the Feliway plug ins, herbal remedies and lots of diff meds.
He kind of has fazes with it and atm we’re good.
It may just be something you have to live with and that’s he’s a sensitive cat. This is what the vet told us to accept and it’s not life threatening, more behavioural.
Best of luck and give him snuggles from us 😽❤
I agree vet said live with it..its odd as in the mornings after breakfast he goes crazy and seems sensitive to touching his back near his Tail.. I have music classical on all the time...Will try harp...Find a CD! I comb him everyday Have had cats my whole life( in my 60's) and vets I have come to realize do not have all the answers.. I rescued him as I did his sister( not related) so one never knows what their childhood was like...Sweetie my other cat freezes when it thunders ( she lived outside).. But They are my kids give them everything.....

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree vet said live with it..its odd as in the mornings after breakfast he goes crazy and seems sensitive to touching his back near his Tail.. I have music classical on all the time...Will try harp...Find a CD! I comb him everyday Have had cats my whole life( in my 60's) and vets I have come to realize do not have all the answers.. I rescued him as I did his sister( not related) so one never knows what their childhood was like...Sweetie my other cat freezes when it thunders ( she lived outside).. But They are my kids give them everything.....
Aww I treat Gray like my second child, I love him so much. Keep us posted 😽❤