Excessive grooming or fur loss

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Earlier in the year I took my cat to the vet on account of assumed litter trouble, but learned she just had a mouth of resorptive lesions instead. The vet booked her in to have some teeth removed, but she noted that her belly fur was completely gone and seemed concerned about it. I told her that she had always been like that, which was accepted and dismissed by the vet. 

Today I found a photograph from 2012 that clearly shows her belly was completely furred after all, and I recalled incorrectly. Here is that picture, along with a newer one from a week or so ago.

Here is the old one from 2012 with the fully furred belly.

And here is the new one. While not perfectly on her back, you can see her lower belly area is free of fur.

I've never had a cat who over groomed before, nor any who had any health complications that caused fur loss in specific areas. Is this common? Should I be concerned, or at least interested as to why the vet would have brought it up on our visit? 

The only behavioural thing I could think of that would cause this is from weight loss. This particular cat weighed 20lb at her heaviest, and since 2012 had been placed on a diet, managing to drop to 13lb earlier this year. This came after the three other household pets, two cats and a small dog, passed away within short succession from old age (all three over 15 yo, two bordering 20). For most of her life she could not groom herself due to the weight, so maybe she started over preening her belly once she could reach it as a form of stress from the environmental changes of suddenly becoming an only cat?

This is believable to me because she also went from a very quiet animal, never speaking, to a very vocal one once by herself. But if there is a possible health complication too, that shouldn't be ignored. Maybe from the resorptive lesions, or a way to make up for her boredom the diet cut backs? I am unable to say when her belly became furless, as I obviously thought it had always been that way to tell the vet as much, but clearly some time between 2012 and 2015. Heh. 

Cheers,

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this too, and the vet keeps saying it is from stress, (?) He's almost 15 so drugs are out of the question, I really think it is from boredom. Yours might be from the stress of losing her housemates, and she may have started when she sensed they were failing. Good luck, and post us if you find a solution, I'm still looking!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think stress is the most likely cause. She's been though a lot in the last year, so it's not all that surprising that she's a little stressed out. [article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32396"][/article] I would definitely speak to the vet about this again. It might be a good idea to have the 2012 pic to show her too - comparisons are always helpful.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. 

I agree it's probably stress, but I may speak to the vet again anyway like mentioned, especially if anything else crops up regarding her behaviour. 

It's possible she may have a health complication as well, having been overweight for so many years.

After some searching, I did find an image from the middle of January 2015, which shows distinctively where the fur was being lost:

Since the fur was likely starting to be lost just this year, it's more likely the discomfort from the lesions is what would've been stressing her out more so than the rest. 

This looks like it was "progressively" lost. But in this image particularly, does look like it may have been from grooming. Vet would know best.

starcat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat started over-grooming like crazy a couple of years ago. Different vets had different opinions (allergies, personality disorder., stress, etc.) She does seem to be sensitive to fleas and pollen, so I make sure she always has a current dose of Advantage II as well as an allergy pill (Claritin - loratadine) each day. That helped but did not cure. She even got a bacterial infection from having some areas that she groomed raw. Lots of bloodwork, allergy treatment ensued ($$$$). We tried kitty prozac and steroids. Not very effective and made her gain weight. Over a couple of years, her belly and insides of her thighs became bald with lots of little sores (not very pretty on my lovely black cat). One day we visited with a vet who was filling in for our usual one. She strongly suggested we try Atopica. It's normally used for cat chemo, as I understood it, but it also works for fur growth. Well, here we are 2 months later, and my kitty has ALL her fur back! She only overgrooms if a flea gets on her, and that's usually a sign that she's ready for more Advantage. I still give her the allergy pill, too. Atopica is expensive (about $90 a bottle) BUT as time goes on, the dose frequency is reduced. I had to start with one a day for a couple of weeks but now she needs only 2 doses a week. She's on her second bottle of Atopica, and it's lasting a long time. Next time we see the vet, she may take her off Atopica or reduce the frequency again. Anyway, I hope this will help someone out there whose kitty has over-grooming issues. Atopica is a life-saver! They also offer a $20 mail-in rebate with each bottle. :-)

starcat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CORRECTION: The allergy medicine I give my cat is NOT Claritin or loratadine, it's Zyrtec or cetirizine 5mg. It's OTC and fairly inexpensive. Sorry bout that!!