Excessive drooling?

plisa21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Two days ago I noticed my ~3 year old cat drooling a lot. It was hanging from her mouth and getting her blanket all wet. I panicked and called the vet. I thought maybe she ate something toxic or lost a tooth. The vet found nothing. Yesterday she didn’t drool at all. And then last night she drooled all over my bed and she’s still drooling when she’s just laying around relaxing. She doesn’t seem to do it when she’s moving around though. She’s still eating, drinking and using the litterbox like normal. I’ve had her since December and never noticed her doing this before.

Any thoughts or pst experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any plants that she can get into around the house - doesn't have to be new ones, but a plant that she has decided that she is now interested in? The off and on of the drooling - along with it being something new for her - suggests she might be getting into something in the house that is causing it. It can be something as simple as licking something that she really doesn't like the taste of - and, that would not necessarily stop her from doing it again, btw.

Perhaps, it is after eating a certain kind of food that bothers something in her mouth that the vet can't see? It could be the beginnings of stomatitis, which might be triggered by certain foods, or eating in general.

It also could be the start of some mouth issues that are not readily apparent to the vet just yet.

I would try to chart everything she does/everywhere she goes and see if there is anything that correlates to when she drools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plisa21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes drool can be when a cat is happy, sometimes it can be nausea.
She will drool when I’m loving on her but never this much. Do you think she could just me settling into the house and finally feeling content?

plisa21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Any plants that she can get into around the house - doesn't have to be new ones, but a plant that she has decided that she is now interested in? The off and on of the drooling - along with it being something new for her - suggests she might be getting into something in the house that is causing it. It can be something as simple as licking something that she really doesn't like the taste of - and, that would not necessarily stop her from doing it again, btw.

Perhaps, it is after eating a certain kind of food that bothers something in her mouth that the vet can't see? It could be the beginnings of stomatitis, which might be triggered by certain foods, or eating in general.

It also could be the start of some mouth issues that are not readily apparent to the vet just yet.

I would try to chart everything she does/everywhere she goes and see if there is anything that correlates to when she drools.
Thank you for your reply. I’ve racked my brain thinking of what she could’ve gotten into. I don’t have plants or anything like that. She’s usually not one to chew or lick stuff. The only thing I’ve changed in her diet is starting Lysine treats but the vet said the likelihood of the drooling being caused by those is very slim.
I keep food and dirty dishes off the counter and out of the sink. The only think I can think she may have eaten is a paint chip or saw dust as I am remodeling my bathroom.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Paint chips could for sure cause it especially if the paint is old. Some of the old paint made before regulation is extremely toxic even to inhale. It used to be made with lead up until the 1980s and disturbing it can kick the chemicals into the air, that's why you have to wear PPE when removing it.

plisa21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Paint chips could for sure cause it especially if the paint is old. Some of the old paint made before regulation is extremely toxic even to inhale. It used to be made with lead up until the 1980s and disturbing it can kick the chemicals into the air, that's why you have to wear PPE when removing it.
Luckily our house is only about 6 years old but I guess it could still be the paint. I made sure to clean everything up really well.