Excessive Drooling (VERY WORRIED!)

Rogue3k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, a few days ago, out of the blue, my cat started drooling excessively. It went on for about 24 hours and then it was intermittent. She acted totally normal such as with eating and drinking. Then it mostly stopped for a day. Then on the third day it started again and she seems a bit tired but still eating, drinking, and acting mostly okay. Anyway, I took her to an emergency veterinarian clinic. They did a full panel blood work up, xray, and inspected her body and mouth. They said she appeared to be in pristine condition and it is a mystery. I am not a vet, but I know my cat, and something is wrong 😭 I feel as though she got into something she should not have and got poisoning. She is 2 years old and really the only thing I have in my life that brings me happiness every day. Any advice or anyone experience this and it all ended up being okay?

Thank you!

Attachments

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, did you add anything new to the environment, or move anything around? Some house plants can cause drooling without being toxic. Did you change fabric softeners or laundry soap? Did you wash the floors with something new? Did you change cat foods? Did you bathe her in something unusual? Did you just treat her for fleas? Its hard when you're worried, but try to calm down and backtrack a bit. If it makes you feel better, confine her to one room when you're away until you suss out the culprit.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They did a full panel blood work up, xray, and inspected her body and mouth. They said she appeared to be in pristine condition and it is a mystery
Lazy Orange House Cat has all great questions to think about. It doesn't even have to be something new. Sometimes cats will stay away from something toxic for years, then for some reason or coincidence will get into that. Or the repeated exposure cause a problem to show symptoms later, like in some cases, people in the house smoking.

They DID include liver, gallbladder, kidney values at the blood test, right? Was it done to full stomach or after fasting? Does she eat small meals throughout the day or only 2-3 big portions because if it's only like 2 big meals, going hungry for hours may also cause too much stomach acids sometimes.

How well did they check her mouth? Most cats I know don't stay calm enough for a truly well exam when they are not sedated. Does she paw at her own mouth? If she does, I wouldn't outrule there is something in her mouth like a small ulcer/wound.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several things can cause cats to drool. One is dental problems. Did they check her teeth well ? how is her breath smelling ? a upper respiratory infection can do it. ( even viral , which will just pass on its own) .. even emotional state can do it ! My kitty peanut has some abuse in her past ( we got her from shelter ) and will drool if she is experiences fear . (most likely from something tied to her past, poor thing ) . ... there are lost of things that can cause it. .. you did the right thing going to vet . .. watching WHEN she is drooling will probably be your first clue. My kitty Bella had dental issues. my first clue was bad breath. she ended up have 8 teeth extracted, then drooled when she ate. good luck...hopefully its just a temporary thing that will pass !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All of the work done at the ER clinic is yours, so if you feel that you should consult your own vet it can be sent over. To me, this sounds as if she ingested something, although at an ER clinic they may or may not have done a thorough mouth exam.