Excess gas / swollen belly

Lfagliano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I have a hand reared 1 week old kitten (9 days old) with a pretty big belly. Sometimes it gets a bit smaller and softer but it is quite big compared to her sister. Today in the vet they told me that could be the reason for its uncomfortable breathing so that I should "massage" it's belly and make it poop. But it does poop (not every feeding but once per day), yet it still has a big belly.

So making some googling, I think it may be excessive gas as it does tend to be screaming when eating. Thus the question, how do I help her get some of these gasses out? I read about the simethicone but that is not a possibility here is thee any other option?.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I have a hand reared 1 week old kitten (9 days old) with a pretty big belly. Sometimes it gets a bit smaller and softer but it is quite big compared to her sister. Today in the vet they told me that could be the reason for its uncomfortable breathing so that I should "massage" it's belly and make it poop. But it does poop (not every feeding but once per day), yet it still has a big belly.

So making some googling, I think it may be excessive gas as it does tend to be screaming when eating. Thus the question, how do I help her get some of these gasses out? I read about the simethicone but that is not a possibility here is thee any other option?.
Why isnt simethicone a possibility? [ I recently found there IS a simethicone to get in Sweden, here the brand is Minifon in drops. Otherwise I was stuck, as they otherwise sell Dimethicone....]

Anyway, you can always try with burping, as you would do with a human baby.
Hold it gently up, perhaps against your arm, and stroke over its back, and belly...