Excedrin Migraine

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who use this, have you encountered a shortage in your area? I haven't been able to find any for weeks-my Walmart's headache medicine section has been continuously empty. I have no idea if it's related to COVID or not, but I only have a small bottle left and I'm getting concerned.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed, but I haven't looked either. I use Motrin super strength for my headaches, it works for me, but it's because I need the anti-inflammatory properties, my headaches are caused by my neck muscles.
Excedrin Migraine contains 250 mg acetaminophen, 250 mg aspirin, and 65 mg caffeine as it's active ingredients, so maybe you can take half each of an extra strength tylenol and extra strength aspirin (Bayer) with a cup of coffee. :thumbsup: (Extra strength has 500 mg, where as regular strength has 325 mg)
JK, but you could call your doc to see what is a good replacement.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can take half each of an extra strength tylenol and extra strength aspirin (Bayer) with a cup of coffee.
That's what doctors recommended before someone got a clue and put it all in one convenient pill.

I've noticed a lot of OTC meds are gone or hard to find. I assume that people who use those meds are like "hmm, I suppose I should pick up another bottle while I'm here, just in case. . ."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I also get migraines but they're triggered by weather. Excedrin Migraine didn't work for me, no relief, so I ended up talking to my doctor who wrote a prescription. I only take it when I get a bad migraine. If you have health insurance maybe you could get a prescription from your M.D. That way you won't have to worry about OTC meds being gone from the shelf.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the pain reducers / fever reducers have been hoarded up since the pandemic. I just bought Tylenol off Amazon because I couldn't find it in any store. The price I paid was on par of what it's sold for in stores. Target, etc sell limited products online and there is no ship option or buy online and pick up in store option.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Found this online, dated January of this year

Production of Excedrin Migraine Discontinued Until Further Notice

Don’t know if they have restarted production but here is the link to the article.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get migraines sometimes but what helps me is the Advil Cold & Sinus that you have to get from the pharmacist behind the counter, with ephedrine in it. But they haven't been out of it so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I didn't know that was good for migraines.
Yes, just don't take too much at once as it can cause loose bowels but if you take a normal amount you will be fine. It also relaxes you so I take it at suppertime rather than early in the day. Stay away from Magnesium Oxide as it is the cheapest form made, get a good quality one.

Also the herb Butterbur is good for them too, can help in trying to prevent them. My mom had migraines for years and this really helped her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it something you take every day?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it something you take every day?
I take it almost every day but I don't have migraines, I take it because the majority of people are deficient in Magnesium but don't even know it plus it is an anti stress supplement and Lord knows we have that in spades especially now with this plague! If you have migraines I would take it everyday, at least 400 or 500 mg of it, you can Google it and find tons of information on it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnesium Citrate is a good form of Magnesium. I take 200 mg a day for its sleep benefits. It helps you fall asleep faster and wake less frequently.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excedrin Migraine contains 250 mg acetaminophen, 250 mg aspirin, and 65 mg caffeine as it's active ingredients, so maybe you can take half each of an extra strength tylenol and extra strength aspirin (Bayer) with a cup of coffee. :thumbsup: (Extra strength has 500 mg, where as regular strength has 325 mg)
JK, but you could call your doc to see what is a good replacement.
No joke, my mom and doctors had me downing a lot of coffee, diet coke and diet mountain dew when I had migraines as a teenager. Looking back I probably should have just taken caffeine pills because now I can't stand the taste of any of them!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you go on target and Walmart’s websites you can check to see which stores in your area do have it in stock. It looks like CVS has their generic version available online.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check your local drug store. I work for a major drug store chain and it has recently started showing up on the shelves again. Also the generic brand was available again before the brand Excedrin Migraine. The active ingredients are exactly the same as the brand name. It worked the same for me. I am finishing the generic bottle I bought before buying more Excedrin Migraine. The shortage was caused by a manufacturer recall. Excedrin Migraine sells a lot at my work. The stock we have is keeping pace with the sales. It did take a while to come back and our store was never actually given notice of the recall. I heard about it on the local news and mentioned it to our managers so they could let the customers know what was going on.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you take Magnesium supplements, I read it is supposed to help with migraines?
A neurologist suggested this for my migraines. He said 500mg twice a day, specifically magnesium glucinate. Might have spelled that wrong...it really worked! and I had silent as well as classic migraines🙏🏻

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No joke, my mom and doctors had me downing a lot of coffee, diet coke and diet mountain dew when I had migraines as a teenager. Looking back I probably should have just taken caffeine pills because now I can't stand the taste of any of them!
Yes, I was told once to drink a Mountain Dew and eat a bar of chocolate whenever I got a migraine.

I've cycled through many different migraine medications, the one that worked the best for me was Midrin but even with insurance it was $150/bottle so not at all sustainable! Now I do take Excedrin, or the off brand stuff. I have a bottle of the off brand stuff right now that I've been taking but I'm running low on pain pills in general and won't be thrilled if I can't get more.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was told once to drink a Mountain Dew and eat a bar of chocolate whenever I got a migraine.

I've cycled through many different migraine medications, the one that worked the best for me was Midrin but even with insurance it was $150/bottle so not at all sustainable! Now I do take Excedrin, or the off brand stuff. I have a bottle of the off brand stuff right now that I've been taking but I'm running low on pain pills in general and won't be thrilled if I can't get more.
Have you ever looked into good rx for an affordable price for your midrin?Our insurance won't cover one of my husband's blood pressure meds and it's quite pricey,so I print out a much cheaper coupon from good rx.It gets him the meds he needs ,that's for sure.