Ex-wife's cat poops on floor daily when our children are with me

Santana2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone has had bathroom behavior problems related to split families. A cat my ex and I adopted 14 years ago has started pooping on the floor but only over night when our children are staying with me. I'm reading all these articles about litter box problems but none of them address any causes remotely like this. She will poop on the floor not in the same room, but not far from her box. Other things that may be a factor... They are in a house they moved in to a few months ago. Also, since the move, another cat has passed away. But it's still ONLY mornings where our children are with me that my ex will find the cat has pooped on the floor. She's mentioned sending the cat here when the children come or permanently rehoming her here, but that is not an option, as my current partner is severely alergic.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you saying that the cat only poops outside the litterbox when the children are AWAY from her? If that is the case, between being in a new house, having another cat die, and being separated from the kids, this old girl is simply reacting to all the changes and stress from them, IMO. The older a cat is, the longer it typically takes for them to adapt. She apparently looks to the kids as her 'security blanket'.

Perhaps, the kids can leave some of their belongings (worn, unwashed clothing) out in places where the cat hangs out to help give her the security she apparently is missing when they are gone. Where does the cat normally sleep - with the kids? It might also go a long way if your ex-wife can pay extra attention to her during the times with the kids are with you. She's just feeling insecure with all of the changes and the pooping outside of the litterbox is her spontaneous reaction to it.

I would also have your ex ensure that she is using enzymatic cleaners in the area where she is pooping outside the box. If she can smell it, it is like an invitation to go there again and again. Also, adding a litter box in the location that she is using might help as well. Your ex could also consider using puppy pee pads to lay down over the area where she is pooping. This will help with clean up and reduce the residual smells.

Ideally, this cat should eventually adapt to the new routines, but it could take a while. She needs extra love and care when she is separated from the kids. The precautions I mentioned above will simply help with the process as she gradually learns to adjust.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. It does sound as though kitty is feeling stressed about all the recent changes in her world. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has suggested a lot of ideas, so nothing I can think of to add, except possibly to look into Feliway. However, it is pricey, and the reviews are mixed on whether it actually makes a difference or not, so do research it before buying.

TCS has a couple articles that might be helpful:
Separation Anxiety In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

Plus: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your ex might try leaving some puppy pee pads where she usually goes, it might make cleanup easier if she uses them. I, too, think it is stress related. A move, the loss of a companion and then the children leaving is just too much for her. It will resolve in time. She is geriatric now, so try to comfort her and give her new toys or treats to maybe distract her a little. she is bewildered and scared......