Ex-Feral Kitten Terrified of Being Touched

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

About three weeks ago, I picked up four kittens from the shelter I foster for. I don't believe they are all from the same litter, but they were about seven weeks old then (about six weeks when they were trapped, now around ten weeks) and were trapped from one of the feral colonies we manage. So far, we have had massive success socializing the two boys, Orion and Aquila. One of the girls, Cassiopeia, is still a bit skittish, but is very friendly when we pet her or pick her up and she purrs very, very loudly. The last kitten however, Andromeda, is absolutely terrified of being touched. She seems to enjoy our company, often purrs in our presence, and even sometimes runs after us when we leave the foster room, but we can't actually touch her without her panicking. I've tried using a "petting wand" (a cat charmer with the felt "ribbon" wrapped and tied around the end to make a soft point, often used at our shelter for shy cats, used to great success with Cassiopeia) and even that frightens her, though she is somewhat intrigued by it. I can tell that under her fearful demeanor is a very sweet kitten who desperately wants to be loved, but she's just too scared to let us handle her right now. Does anyone have any suggestions to help us socialize her?

For those curious, I have attached a photo of the four kittens from when they were still at the shelter.
Left to right:
Aquila, now ragdolls when you hold him while purring up a storm
Andromeda, still too scared to let us touch her
Orion, loves cuddles and laps and ragdolls to a slightly lesser extent than his brother
Cassiopeia, still a bit shy but a very, very sweet little girl who loves pit-pats and cuddles

Attachments

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww that pic reminds me so much of my own foster experience with 7-week-old ferals. I don't have much advice beyond just spending all your free time around her and trying to touch her lightly when she's eating. We have a 10-month-old kitten we're also fostering who was very resistant to any contact for the three months she was at the shelter and the first month we had her. Then one day she started letting me stroke her while she ate, and very quickly after that began trilling and rubbing up against me and head-butting my hand when I'd come in to feed her. Still have a ways to go, but after several weeks of zero improvement the change was remarkable.

Attachments

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

About three weeks ago, I picked up four kittens from the shelter I foster for. I don't believe they are all from the same litter, but they were about seven weeks old then (about six weeks when they were trapped, now around ten weeks) and were trapped from one of the feral colonies we manage. So far, we have had massive success socializing the two boys, Orion and Aquila. One of the girls, Cassiopeia, is still a bit skittish, but is very friendly when we pet her or pick her up and she purrs very, very loudly. The last kitten however, Andromeda, is absolutely terrified of being touched. She seems to enjoy our company, often purrs in our presence, and even sometimes runs after us when we leave the foster room, but we can't actually touch her without her panicking. I've tried using a "petting wand" (a cat charmer with the felt "ribbon" wrapped and tied around the end to make a soft point, often used at our shelter for shy cats, used to great success with Cassiopeia) and even that frightens her, though she is somewhat intrigued by it. I can tell that under her fearful demeanor is a very sweet kitten who desperately wants to be loved, but she's just too scared to let us handle her right now. Does anyone have any suggestions to help us socialize her?

For those curious, I have attached a photo of the four kittens from when they were still at the shelter.
Left to right:
Aquila, now ragdolls when you hold him while purring up a storm
Andromeda, still too scared to let us touch her
Orion, loves cuddles and laps and ragdolls to a slightly lesser extent than his brother
Cassiopeia, still a bit shy but a very, very sweet little girl who loves pit-pats and cuddles
They are adorable. Of my first feral litter last year there was one that took extra long to socialize and be able to touch and hold against his will.

Once I brought him in to my house he would run everytime I would approach him (he still does sometimes) so I started ignoring him completely I wouldn't look at him or say his name and give all my other cats attention. It took a little more time but he eventually came to me and he is the sweetest/somewhat skiddish kitty who loves big hugs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

You probably are familiar with the advice in the article, but it does state that avoiding eye contact might work. I have also had the experience of a very shy ex feral suddenly comes around in a big way for no apparent change in anyone's behavior or lifestyle.

They are just adorable and one day will know how lucky they are.