Every 5 months...Diarrhea!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every 5 months out of the blue Allie gets diarrhea, happened 4 times now I think...Vet mentioned ibd last time I took her in...

I been changing her food more often recently trying to find something that works...Normlly shes on royal canin gastrointestinal but shes bored of it so I been trying to add to it...I tried adding royal canin limited rabbit food but at day 8 or 9 of the slow transition she diarrhea the bath rug... I panicked and bought purina sensitive skin, today is day 4 of sprinkling it on the gastrointestinal food and she pooped on my bed...Luckily I have waterproof covers!

I had her on a solid month of gi food mixed with royal canin persian food and she was doing decently good until this all started so I took her off the persian food but she snobs the gi food when its unmixed..

Shes been getting dc forte probiodics everyday from the vet....If she has nother accident Ill have to take her in to the vet again!

Should I just keep giving her a mix of gastrointestinal with the purina sensitive skin, today I been trying to just give the just gi food hoping she gets normal again...I tried so many different foods I feel helpless.....Shes been off and on all month, half solid half mushy with two accidents, rug and my bed

She acts normal behavior wise

I actually have two bags of royal canin rabit and venison limited vet diet bags I bought for Oliver but he dont like it, maybe after the rug incident I should have persisted giving her the rabbit protein food

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly what does she eat for the 5 month "in between" period when things are fine? And is it always kibble, never wet food? Is she consistently on the probiotics or just when she starts having issues? Additionally, why did you start her on a sensitive SKIN food? I di think it is food related, and if it IS IBD, what you are feeding her is probably the worst thing possible, but I know why you are doing it, because with digestive issues, that's the place people often start :sigh: BUT, since she only has these issues every five months, assuming during that time there are no food changes, I'm not sure about IBD :dunno:. I didn't think that was something that came and went like that. Hoping others with experience with it will be along shortly to add their two cents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shes been on royal canin gastrointestinal....she used to have a host of canned food she ate and all flavors of fancy feast purely but she slowly started ignoring it so basically i trashed them when she didnt eat it and now sort of cut it out but still have a bunch...

Sensitive skin and stomach food is what I recently was trying, ive been pushing her old food on her which is the gastro food but she snobs it, if I add something different to it she eats

She was also on 50/50 gastro x royal canin persian for a month

She eats wet butmonly when she wants to

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree that IBD seems weird given that she only does this every so often. But, there may be a key to that if you can figure out which foods you have given her when she does OK with her poops. You have had her on a ton of different foods - if there is any way you can chart the ingredients of each of them, and see if you can find a connection to what she was eating and when she gets the diarrhea, that might be a start. You may have to continue to change out foods if she continues to tire of something, but knowing what foods doesn't pose a problem could be your answer into how you swap out food from time to time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try adding in saccharomyceses boullardi to her diet. Just mix in with wet food.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat got diarrhea once. It turned out she had a plug of hair stuck in her bowel. Only about the size of my pinkie, but it plugged her up and only liquid could get through. I have to make sure she gets brushed regularly, since she’s a heavy shedder.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your description makes me think there is more than one thing going on. Every 5 month or so, maybe that's about hairballs? Does this happen during the shedding season or when there is overgrooming? Hairballs might cause constipation followed with diarrhea. If the kitty gets sick due to hairballs, he might also refuse to eat the food again as they tend to associate the food with getting sick.

Gastrointestinal foods have probiotics in them (the ones I know at least!) and that might take care of diarrhea as a symptom but that doesn't necessarily mean the food is not irritating still. It's like, someone with lactose intolerance might get diarrhea, gas, nausea --- probiotics would prevent the diarrhea but they could still have gas cramps and nausea. I say this because my cat for example has some grain intolerances and a lot of gastrointestinal foods have grain in them.

Adjusting to new foods take time and that itself might be another problem. My Hima doesn't like eating the same wet food more than one meal a day and can only handle two different wet foods in a day. She gets bored of them after a few months. Her digestion doesn't handle changing the wet food every week though.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea im on day 6 now transitioning to purina sensitive stomach, no bowel movements since my bed incident on sat, she normally goes every 3 days since forever...Anymore big accidents like that and im off to the vet but i do think this is diet related...

Praying to god the purina will fix her up, shes on 75% purina 25% royal gastro atm...Allie always had the stinkiest poo since I can remember

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat make dookies on my bed again and its not even diarrhea, what do i do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is going in the same spot/area, it is likely that she can smell her poo from there before. Remove the bedding and try using one or more of the tips in the article link below to remove the smell (although it is geared toward urine removal, the same treatment should work for feces).

If you can, you might just want to remove whatever she is going on (e.g.; bedspread/blanket/comforter) and leave it off for a while just in case you can't get the smell out entirely. See if that stops her from using the bed.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

When you say it is not diarrhea, is it of normal consistency or is it hard and in little pieces (constipation)?

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought all new same replacement litterpans, my bed has waterproof covers so it doesnt reach the matress, this time I used enzyme cleaner for cat pee...Her poo was 80% good 20% little mushy, did it in the exact same spot...

Last time it was diarrhea on that spot, im a close my bedroom door...lots of anxiety flowin through me

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She had diarrhea in her stroller on day 9 of purina sensitive at almost full transition, vet wants her on hills wd so got a bag today and didnt bother transitioning since she already got diarrhea...She goes for a bm movement every 2-3 days though which is her normal

Vet is booked anyhow for 8 days so hope she gets better as this has 9% fiber and thank god she eats it

If i mix it with her old royal gi food she ignores it

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Friday she poop in her litterpan, a new pan with different litter in a different room but it was stinky mushy dookies......Today Sunday morning I found she pooped on her cave bed, zero smell, normally it clears the house, mushy but had form...

Is she pooping outa the pan cause of the problem or is this a new bad habit forming? Im hoping when her stools get normal she goes back in the pan...

She went on the hills cold turkey almost zero transition

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are going to have to wait awhile longer to see if this food change makes a difference in her stool, and hopefully if it does she will be more inclined to use the litter pan. Maybe she isn't going to like using the same pan after she has had a smelly, mushy poo. Assuming you had cleaned it out, It is possible the litter picked up the smell and she didn't want to use it again.

At this stage, it is really hard to tell whether it is becoming a bad habit, but odds are it is more likely because of all the recent food changes.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ItsTuesday and im on poop patrol watching her every move, cmon Allie just do it so my blood pressure can go down will ya...Praying for improvement as its now day 6 on sd w/d mixed with royal gastro, stopped probiodics yesterday

12B6F6B9-6DC0-45B0-9284-988282D27131.jpeg

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hoooray, she went to the pan and had normal quite stinky pooo...

Yipeeeee, no mush at all

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definetly off, she pooped yesterday and it was half mushy with little mucus and very very little red blood I guess...She wasnt supposed to poop yesterday cause she went tuesday so supposed to have been on friday not wed...

Todays the 8th day on hills hope it stabalizes, sigh....Getting nightmares of poop, I wake up thinking I smell imaginary poop