Ever since my cat got spayed (year ago) she’s been an asshole

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my female cats is a three-year-old tortoiseshell. She was the most loving and affectionate cat you could imagine. Wonderful with all the kids, great with my other female cat, just an overall sweetheart. About a year ago she got spayed. Since then she’s progressively become more and more of an asshole. She has no problem with me, is cuddly and affectionate, never tries to bite or scratch me, but she lashes out at my kids for no reason whatsoever. They are older, preteens and teens. I have no idea why this is happening.
Has this happened to anyone else’s cat?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my female cats is a three-year-old tortoiseshell. She was the most loving and affectionate cat you could imagine. Wonderful with all the kids, great with my other female cat, just an overall sweetheart. About a year ago she got spayed. Since then she’s progressively become more and more of an asshole. She has no problem with me, is cuddly and affectionate, never tries to bite or scratch me, but she lashes out at my kids for no reason whatsoever. They are older, preteens and teens. I have no idea why this is happening.
Has this happened to anyone else’s cat?
This has never happened to me, but I'm only now finding out what my girls used to do to our cat, so I'm more than surprised that she didn't react as your cat has done. It was evidently all quite fun - and the cat didn't seem to mind being dressed up and taken for walks in a doll's pram. Whatever was I doing at the time?

Anyway, a cat does not change its reaction to children, however young or old, for no reason. She is still affectionate towards yourself so you are not the cause of the trouble. She is not generally bad tempered so it is unlikely to be a health issue (though you may like to check that with your vet). The spay may change her attitude towards another cat so that they are no longer close friends, but female cats are seldom particularly affectionate to one another once they become adults.

I suggest a visit to the vet, a quiet talk to the children, just asking them to try to ignore the cat for awhile, to give her a chance to calm down. Don't, whatever you do, blame the children! They have not done anything which they are aware of!

Sorry, that I can't help more than that. I hope that things improve.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I tend to agree with @gilmarg, cats react to some but not others for a reason. I cannot imagine how spaying would change her behavior toward some members of your household but not all.