Ever had an endoscopy?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had several colonoscopies over the years but never an endoscopy where they put the tube down your throat to look into your stomach area. I went to a gastroenterologist back in July, I wanted to do it months earlier but thanks to Covid getting in to see some doctors is ridiculous, and I told him that I was having gas and burping issues and also IBS symptoms which I have known that I've had for many years, I think stress is a huge part of it along with some other things but neither he nor I think it is anything bad like cancer or other diseases but since there is a history of death from colon cancer I have to go every 5 years; I went in 2015 and only had one small non cancerous polyp and was set to go last Summer then Covid hit so I skipped it, but I am set for this next Friday 9/10 but I am questioning the idea of having the upper scope done and have messaged the doctor asking his thoughts on this and told him that I coach soccer and have a game the next day and wanted to know if I will be okay for this? I know I feel wiped out for a few days after a colonoscopy which is normal for what you just put yourself through, but have never had an endoscopy so I don't know what to expect. I don't seem to match the symptoms for when you need one, my issues are more lower based, I have read that they are very safe but am just leery about it I guess. I expressed this to him and said he is the doctor, if he feels it is necessary and would be helpful then it is okay, but I also suggested maybe we just do the colonoscopy and see what results that shows, we can always do the upper one later if needed.

Did anyone ever have this upper scope done and what did you feel afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It’s been awhile, but I’ve had both, and the endoscopy was a breeze compared to the colonoscopy. I was completely back to normal as soon as the anesthetic was out of my system, and didn’t have the limp rag feeling that comes with the colonoscopy (among other things 🙂). I don’t remember my throat bothering me much if at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been awhile, but I’ve had both, and the endoscopy was a breeze compared to the colonoscopy. I was completely back to normal as soon as the anesthetic was out of my system, and didn’t have the limp rag feeling that comes with the colonoscopy (among other things 🙂). I don’t remember my throat bothering me much if at all.
Okay thanks for the reply, much appreciated!!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay thanks for the reply, much appreciated!!
Advice from one of my doctors when you have to drink gag-inducing stuff like the horrible stuff they make you drink before a colonoscopy. There are three ways you can somewhat mitigate the taste.

1. Make sure it’s ice cold.
2. Use a straw and place it toward the back of your tongue. It helps get the liquid past most of your taste buds.
3. Rub a little toothpaste on your tongue or swish mouthwash around and spit it out. A lot of toothpastes and mouthwashes actually numb your taste buds a bit.
:)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had several of them. Less trouble than the colonoscopy. The worst thing is the prep.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Had several of them. Less trouble than the colonoscopy. The worst thing is the prep.
He didn't say anything about prepping for it probably because I'll be knocked out for the colonoscopy anyway?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one a few years ago. I live in the UK but should imagine the choices are the same. I chose to be awake. I had an anesthetic spray into my mouth to ease the camera in, I gagged a little and only for a second when I swallowed it, felt a little pressure in my tummy during the procedure but only for 30 seconds and a gag when they removed the camera. Over and done with in a very short time. No after effects at all other than a bit of soreness in my throat for a couple of hours.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
He didn't say anything about prepping for it probably because I'll be knocked out for the colonoscopy anyway?
Probably. If you’re out for the colonoscopy already, adding the endoscopy is pretty easy and saves you from having to do another prep and anesthesia.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Something we all do here in regards to drinking the prep for the colonoscopy is to have a slightly unfrozen light colored popsicle ready to stick in our mouths as soon as we swallow the prep. It cannot be red, purple, blue, etc so it probably has to be lemon flavored.

A few doctors around here also routinely do endoscopies with colonoscopies.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both separately, but my husband had both together in 2019 (before covid). They do them at the same time, so from what I can tell from observing him you are no more wiped out doing both than just doing the colonoscopy.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. The doctor got back to me and said the endoscopy would only take about 5-10 minutes and said he'll leave it scheduled but we can talk about it when I go in next Friday, if I'm not having any symptoms I don't have to get it done. I don't match the symptoms that are listed for it like nausea or vomiting or bleeding or GERD or the others so that is why I am questioning why we would need to do it, unless he figures that way he checked everything out and can make a better diagnosis?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had several procedures to remove gallstones endoscopically. I had no unpleasant or unusual symptoms, not even a sore throat. The colonoscopy was about the same for me, no noticeable symptoms.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't match the symptoms that are listed for it like nausea or vomiting or bleeding or GERD or the others so that is why I am questioning why we would need to do it
Depending on how you described your "burping issues"...it could be an issue with GERD.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an endoscopy with several biopsies. I asked for twilight sedation. It was no big deal.

I think I just fasted from 11pm the night before. I did not even have to strip completely. It was an out patient procedure. I was having issues with esophagus.

The biopsy sites did not bother me. They told me to take it easy with food, soft; for the rest of the day. I was fine.

I think, if I were in your situation, I would ask doctor exactly what is the reason he is doing the endoscopy. What is he looking for. A patient should always know what reason the doctor has, for pursuing any invasive exam...

I have a friend who has it done to stretch the diameter of her esophagus. She does have to be careful with food for several days after it, and it is a bit sore---she says...

Good Luck...

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am done with this today, they saw one polyp in the colon and also said I had Class B Esophagitis but said "actually things looked pretty good" so that is a relief! I have no sore throat or anything, just wiped out, so it is time to eat, drink and rest, and I should be better soon. I am glad that I decided to have the stomach scope so now I know what it is, he wanted me to try Prilosec but I will try something natural first, I am not on any meds and don't want to start now if possible so I know there are a lot of natural options that I will check out soon.

THANK YOU for the replies!!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! You’re done! Yeah, it kinda wipes you out, but good to do it and have it over. :thumbsup:
Yes! I was glad that I was the first one early this morning, that way I have more of the day to recover, but that meant I was up at 2:30 getting ready to drink the prep lol! I didn't sleep much after that obviously, but I just napped for a few hours, don't want to sleep so much that I can't sleep tonight, but I should be good to go. It might take a few days until I feel really like myself but it was worth it!

Thanks!