Ethical Breeder Or Shelter?

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a dilemma, I am looking at purchasing a retired breeder, who is coming from a very reputable breeder that I definitely trust. In the past my girlfriend and I have exclusively adopted shelter cats. My girlfriend however has cat allergies, and while she is fine with regular cats from the shelter and loves them is hoping a low allergen breed would allow her to take less allergy medicine. We are very aware no cat is truly hypoallergenic though and she is fine with taking allergy medicine just a lower allergen breed would be appreciated and she has interacted with low allergen breeds without allergy medicine and been OK she is not hoping to take none just less, we are also considering having multiple cats as we've only ever had one at a time before, hence also a good time to consider less allergens. However we are both a bit unsure about the morality of purchasing a cat that was used for breeding. We understand that reputable breeders do not contribute to over population, nor are we opposed to responsible breeding, but we are unsure if it's bad to not adopt as we have in the past? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated we have looked at breed specific rescues but there are rarely low allergen breeds, much less ones that are guaranteed. Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! There are multiple reasons why someone might want to adopt a purebred cat, but allergy concerns are usually a big reason. When choosing a cat, it’s important that you find the one that will be the best match for you, which, in your case, sounds like the retired breeder. :)

The only breeders that you don’t want to support are backyard breeders, but it sounds like you’ve found a good breeder. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bless your hearts, in my mind you might be overthinking it a little.

The breeds your girlfriend has interacted with where she had few problems would be the breed of choice, and to adopt a retired cat is just as wonderful a thing to do as to adopt a cat out of a shelter.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There is absolutely nothing wrong with adopting a retired breeder. There's nothing wrong with adopting a purebred cat that hasn't been used for breeding. I would stay away from Backyard Breeders, meaning people who randomly breed cats to sell.

You go with the kitty that suits you. Yes, you may find your heart cat at a shelter, but you could also find your perfect match with an ethical breeder. You shouldn't have to defend your choices to anyone except yourself.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No matter what you decide, go with your heart. Don't feel guilty what ever you decide - a shelter cat or a retired breeder (not from a back yard breeder though). Just a little information, ask the breeder if the cat is accustomed to bathing. Cats who have regular baths are less prone to promote allergy reactions. It is generally the proteins in the saliva that cause the reactions so bathing removes most of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like a very responsible breeder, whose cats also participate in shows. I am wondering at what age it's reasonable for them to be bred at as she was bred for the 1st time around 1 year of age and I'm not sure if that's normal?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thing is, there are good breeders, there are bad breeders, but there are bad rescues, too. Have you ever noticed how some rescues have nothing but kittens and puppies of very high demand types and charge more than a breeder would without having put much time or money into them? Brokering happens more than we'd like to realize. We've been involved with rescue work (heavily for years) so don't think I'm talking bad about rescues. But not all rescues are good. We will always have rescue dogs and cats, but when we need something for some purpose (like your girlfriend's allergies) there's really no point in taking a chance by bringing home a cat or kitten from the shelter, loving them from the minute you see them only to realize she's miserable and keeping the kitten or cat is out of the question.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thing is, there are good breeders, there are bad breeders, but there are bad rescues, too. Have you ever noticed how some rescues have nothing but kittens and puppies of very high demand types and charge more than a breeder would without having put much time or money into them? Brokering happens more than we'd like to realize. We've been involved with rescue work (heavily for years) so don't think I'm talking bad about rescues. But not all rescues are good. We will always have rescue dogs and cats, but when we need something for some purpose (like your girlfriend's allergies) there's really no point in taking a chance by bringing home a cat or kitten from the shelter, loving them from the minute you see them only to realize she's miserable and keeping the kitten or cat is out of the question.
We have had regular cats we adopted from the shelter in the past, which is one we regularly volunteer at, and she's always been fine as long as she takes medicine for it, we would just both prefer it if she didn't have to take medicine everyday for it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had regular cats we adopted from the shelter in the past, which is one we regularly volunteer at, and she's always been fine as long as she takes medicine for it, we would just both prefer it if she didn't have to take medicine everyday for it.
I agree, I would feel the same way :wave3:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It seems like a very responsible breeder, whose cats also participate in shows. I am wondering at what age it's reasonable for them to be bred at as she was bred for the 1st time around 1 year of age and I'm not sure if that's normal?
It depends on the breed since some mature earlier than others. One year old is not a bad age for breeding for most breeds. I've known ethical breeders who have bred cats even younger because they started their heat cycles early and it came down to a choice of breed or spay to prevent pyometra.

Wilbur's Servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on the breed since some mature earlier than others. One year old is not a bad age for breeding for most breeds. I've known ethical breeders who have bred cats even younger because they started their heat cycles early and it came down to a choice of breed or spay to prevent pyometra.
How old should they be when they stop breeding I've seen places with queens who are 8 years old and still having kittens and that seems a bit old for having kittens.